Complete France Forum

Fiberglass lining paper

crossy67

Hi.

Any one used this fiberglass lining type paper for covering cracked ceilings?  We have just had a bit of a problem with one of our ceilings, we repaired the cracks and lining papered it.  First problem, when we paint it the paper starts to unstick it's self, we have re stuck it after painting a couple of times.  Not very happy!  We finally got it looking somewhere near when I had the brainwave of putting a heater on in the room to dry the paint out.  The bleeding paper has curled off at the joints again and even worse, more big cracks have appeared in the plaster underneath the paper. 

Not really after tips on lining papering, we have done it before using the same method, sizing the ceiling, coating the paper and leaving it for 15 minutes then re coating the paper edges and had few problems.

After weighing up the options, including ripping the ceiling down and redoing it and boarding over it leaving the old ceiling in place we have decided to use the fiberglass reinforced paper, we have it in several rooms in the house and it does a good job, once it's fitted.  Has any one used this before and got any tips please?  Also, what glue should be used, I assume standard wall paper paste won't do the job. 

Thanks for any help.

Ian

The paper that I have used for ceilings was revétement de rénovation lisse although I think it was strengthened with glass fibres, it was certainly tougher than lining paper, anyway you must use colle fibre de verre with it especially for ceilings, some are better than others, the Brico-depot one is only good for walls, the Leroy Merlin one works and is more comparable to say Murabond heavy.

Are you putting it up using un couteau de marrofleur?

Thanks for the reply C.

A un couteau de marrofleur, what's that?  A taping knife?

Better news, a couple of hours allowing it to cool to ambient temperature and it has all sat back down quite nicely.  I shall be monitoring things closely, very closely.  As for decorating materials, I shall never buy anything from the UK DIY store beginning in W****S.  The paste, paper and paint were all bought from their, the paste lets go of the piper the minuter you paint it and the paint's so translucent you need three heavy coats.

The other thing I have had big issues with and shall never buy again is Crown Classics collection eggshell off white.  All primed white wood and I have had to use three coats!  Three coats, to change white to off white!

The couteau is like a big hand held spatula for smoothing out the wrinkles and bubbles, there are similar metal bladed ones in the UK for fabric backed contract vinyls but they are too aggressive for the paper backed Muraspec, the French plastic ones are perfect for fibre de verre, revetement de renovation and intissé's

The ceiling that I did for/with a friend I wanted to fill and blend in the joints, he reckoned it would not be necessary and he was right, he just painted it and I cannot see the joints at all and I know exactly where they are!

Yes a sort of a taping knife although not to be confused with a taping and jointing knife but more like a car windscreen scraper, I use it for corners, trimming, ceilings and skirtings etc it is just the perfect shape and does not damage the paper or your knife edge, the partitioning fixers in the UK always want me to bring a few back for them and their pals, they like me consider them superior to taping knives.

On the other hand I always use French colle fibre de verre on Muraspec vinyls in the UK as it is so so much cheaper than Murabond heavy although it probably does not contain the fungicide.

Archived