Complete France Forum

Light fittings

cooperlola

I bought some glass shades from Casto' a couple of weeks ago.  As my work is nearly finished, the electrician finally attempted to put them up.  However, they turned up without any fittings and the old ones I have were for more modern shades (we previously had placo everywhere and this now down so the lovely oak beams are now exposed).  I've looked on Casto's website for what they recommend and once again they are these horrid, cumbersome modern things which don't seem to me to suit the things at all.  I'll show you:

http://www.castorama.fr/store/Suspension-Bulle-coloris-blanc-PRDm487839.html?navCount=2&navAction=push

(for the item in question see the third "produit complementaire.")

Now, to my mind, all they really need are those little holders which the bulbs fit into which clamp the shade above the bulb.  I think these are they:

http://www.castorama.fr/store/Douille-demi-filetee-E27--48-mm-noire-avec-bague-prod8000071.html?navCount=3&navAction=push

although the wrong colour.  Am I right, or will I need to buy something else as well, given that at present there's just flex hanging from the ceiling?  If so, what are they called please?

Well, Andy, to my mind, just a small, flat ceiling rose would be more than adequate - I certainly don't think we need one of those deep, hideous plastic things in the pic' nor are they at all appropriate against 200 year old oak.  Imo the wire doesn't look too bad but an unobtrusive rose would be OK too.

[quote user="powerdesal"]I am reasonably certain that ceiling roses in the discrete style common to UK are not permitted in France because they are not NF coded. Hence not available.[/quote]Ah.  Because I was trying to figure out what a PAVILLON  was (apart from a bungalow, that is!) from the pic.

I was  very impressed & surpised by those that are available at Ikea..( a tip from the forum when we needed some furniture in a hurry )  Some of the lights are really good quality, and others whilst cheap are not at all bad.

This may not deal /resolve   the rose subject.. but take a look.. the quality is better than the pics..

http://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/catalog/categories/departments/lighting/18750/

the larger foto  for euro 8.95 or something was really quite nice quality.. & I think there is a super large version which we intend to buy for our new living room, despite spending a kings ransom  so far on the room ..(I might exagerate) . I have no qualms about the qlty  of the foto

rgds

Bill ..

Sadly, Bill, I own the shades now, I just can't hang 'em from the ceiling. I might have gone to Ikea instead but  they're miles away (and a nightmare to shop in.) Still searching for a decent looking kit to do the job. Ditto still don't know what that Pavillon does which a rose doesn't?

agreed   shiopping in Ikea is a TOTAL NIGHTMARE.. ...

I was very cruel, we are still fairly short on time, and Mrs Bill flew in to meet me a month ago.. and we had one weekend to start selecting equipment.

I took her off the plane at 6pm  drove her for an hourgoing on two  and then subjected her to Ikea having taken the scenic route courtesy of sat nav. .................  I am not sure if she will ever forgive me..

what is nice, are hooks, instead of roses  .with or without chain ,  no idea if that fits your plans/style..

Bill

http://buyitbetter.co.uk/lighting-electrical/ceiling-roses-hook-plates/cat_58.html

I was discussing this with an English friend yesterday. He is an electrician but not of the French artisan variety. We still can't fathom out the advantage of the French "non rose" system of ceiling lighting, but there you go. The problem is that the builders/electricians have drilled holes in the beams and threaded the cables through so that the light fittings come out of dark oak beams, not the white painted bits in between.  Thus, if we get the white plastic bits of kit which Casto sell to go with the light fittings (god knows why, they are mega-ugly agains the delicate glass) then they will look hideous against the beams. 

Ultimately, the best option is to re-locate the cables so they come out of the right bits of the ceiling but whether this will be accepted as part of the snagging, I have yet to find out. 

Bill, I think forcing your o/h to go round Ikea was indeed very mean, especially at the weekend![:-))]

all Ikea have the same design, they are all horrible, but some of the stuff is OK  

closest for the house is  caen ,but this one was the back and beyond..just miles away.. from anywhere.. could of been another planet ? .

rgds

Bill

how about changing the colour of the cable,  a dark non glossy  gold is available , or black , or  ? 

again mix it up with a chain ? 

holes thru beams are never wonderfull, in my view  beamed houses were never built to have electrics of any sort ! In saying that, in one part of this house in the UK , we  have some of the first wiring , which we have left in place but don't use..  it's stunning workmanship , it's in brown, 1930's or 1940's ? not plastic coated.  and so neatly laid in rows of 6 ,  I may only have about 6 feet left, but it gives me joy to see it every night as its at the top of the stairs ..  Strange person  huh ?

Bill

Archived