Complete France Forum

Guide to cost of new oil tank (in UK, if relevant)

Ian

Maybe someone can help me here.

My mother in the UK has a 2000l metal oil tank, which is badly corroded. She has been advised by the engineer who services the boiler to have it replaced sooner rather than later. So far so good.

He then verbally quoted a price of £1500 - 2000, for a replacement plastic tank of 850l - the biggest available, he said. A big part of the cost is removal of the old tank ("...4-5 men needed, Missus...") plus the need to decant the existing oil temporarily into a holding tank.

Hmmmm

Maybe I'm out of touch with current prices, but this seems a touch high?

Any comments welcome

Thanks

For a start 850lt is not the biggest available by a long shot, think 2400lt which is probably what the old tin one was not 2000.

The price quoted may not be so out of order, under the current UK regs the tank will have to be a bunded one (double skin or enclosed in exterior bund  equal to the tank capacity)

Also under the regs the position of the tank in relation to boundaries etc. may no longer be acceptable.

http://www.oilstorageregs.co.uk

Transferring can be an issue. When I went through an identical exercise in UK at least I was moving the location so only had to fit the new one and wait for the old one to be empty before cutting the feed over. Otherwise it would have been somewhat more problematical involving some sort of temporary holding facility.

I removed a 3000 litre steel one that was 5 or 6mm thick on my own with a bit of inspiration from the Egyptians.

That was the cue for my neighbour to se presenter his-self and recite a long and detailed but completely fabricated story of how if I didnt actually want the tank myself how much of a favour I would be doing him and his wife as their home was unheated, they had the boiler but had been cheated over the tank, so being the softy I am I said yes. Within 5 minutes as if by magic a farmer arrived with a Manitou who lifted it onto my neighbours drive, again another long and detailed story about why it couldnt go into place straight away.

Would you believe it within a week it had been stolen from his drive in the middle of the night by what must have been fairies as they made no noise, no I didnt believe it either especially as he has no boiler and heats by a woodburner most of the wood being that removed from my place during the renovation.

What goes around comes around I was chatting with a woman at a gathering and when I explained where I live she said "you must be very close to that guy from whom we bought our cuve de fouil on Leboncoin" [:(]

I put mine on sale at a tenner.. to get rid of it... no sale, its a quiet lane, (smaller tank)

Had a blue cross sale , for a fiver..

someone bit and  took it away.. :) I used aforementioned egyption technicue.

I now have as 5000 L  bunded tank, 

Google  bunded oil tank, . Most come with a radio oil guage which now have an anti theft alarm..

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Titan_Tanks.html     They drop them and run for that price 

rgds

Bill

Thanks, all, for the responses.

@AnOther, thanks for the info on tank sizes. It is possible my mother misunderstood - maybe he WAS talking about a bigger tank. Regarding the new requirements, as far as I can read, she doesn't NEED bunding (but would be well advised to have it, I agree). Also, the current location seems to suit a replacement installation without any change (they are surrounded by fields, so no neighbours..)

@bill, when I follow your link to Titan Tanks, it seems the price for a new, full-spec tank of the same size, ex fitting, is around £1200. Which makes the verbal quote seem more reasonable.

I've suggested she seek other quotes (and, to be fair, the man suggested she do this) and see what happens.

Thanks, everybody, for your help - valued, as always.

Cheers

[quote user="Ian"]

My mother in the UK has a 2000l metal oil tank, which is badly corroded. She has been advised by the engineer who services the boiler to have it replaced sooner rather than later. So far so good.

He then verbally quoted a price of £1500 - 2000, for a replacement plastic tank of 850l

@bill, when I follow your link to Titan Tanks, it seems the price for a new, full-spec tank of the same size, ex fitting, is around £1200. Which makes the verbal quote seem more reasonable. I've suggested she seek other quotes [/quote]

I didn't look that closely before , but  these were the prices on the web site .. I hunted for months and bought from these people, so will be gutted if I were wrong  !!!!

1200 l   £360

1800 l   £646

2500 l   £808

good luck

Bill

Archived