Complete France Forum

Plumbing - Copper Pipe Reduction

Mungo

I read somewhere that copper pipes can be reduced in diameter without the need for a reducing connector,  For example, a 16mm pipe has an internal diameter of 14mm so a 14mm pipe can be just soldered in.  Does anybody know if this is actually true? 

The reason I am asking is that the shops sell reducers so if the above is true, why do the shops sell them?  I would like to know before I give it a go and find out the hard way that I can't do it!

Many thanks.

My French plumber used two devices, one for copper pipe and one for plastic waste pipe. I only watched him briefly but with the copper pipe he had a selection of sizes of device that he basically inserted in to the end and it stretched it slightly so he could fit it over the next pipe to make a joint. He could do this for two pipes of the same diameter or to the next size down. He also did the same for joining plastic waste pipes if the were the same size by using the device and a hot air gun. All I can say is it works because he did it ten years ago and we don't have leaks. Personally I never use compression joints (except where you are attaching flexible pipes for taps etc.) and the copper reducers are not very expensive if you buy from Brico Depot and they work fine. If course if you have to 'T' off and reduce then you have to use a connector.

[quote user="Mungo"]

I read somewhere that copper pipes can be reduced in diameter without the need for a reducing connector,  For example, a 16mm pipe has an internal diameter of 14mm so a 14mm pipe can be just soldered in.  Does anybody know if this is actually true? 

The reason I am asking is that the shops sell reducers so if the above is true, why do the shops sell them?  I would like to know before I give it a go and find out the hard way that I can't do it!

Many thanks.

[/quote]

Yes it is true, French copper pipes go up in stages of 2mm diameter and the wall thickness is 1mm, so one will just slot in another, no idea why they sell reducers unless they are compression or push fit.

I have never seen a pipe expander used to go up or down a size only for joining the same size in copper.

Archived