Complete France Forum

Where to buy internal doors

pip24

In the U.K. Wikes or B&Q sell light internal composite doors for about 30 to 60 pounds.

All the doors and frames that I see in Bricos etc are very expensive and more heavy duty than I need. Does anyone know where I could purchase the Wikes type of door in France?

All of the big Bricos do a range of inexpensive doors; they're often tucked away in a corner. Doors nearly always come complete with a frame, and you need to specify left or right opening. 

Quillan has given you the BricoDepot link; I was in my local Castorama (Niort) yesterday and they had some at 21,90€ but they are very basic:

http://www.castorama.fr/store/Bloc-porte-prepeint-blanc-73cm-pdroit-PRDm495987.html

This type look better, in my opinion : http://www.castorama.fr/store/Bloc-porte-postforme-Villa-83-droite-prod5810047.html?navCount=0

I've seen similar products in Leroy-Merlin and in fact even in the smallest bricos. Maybe you need to ask? They're called bloc-portes.

I have never paid more than €30 for mid range 6 panel moulded doors, frames and all hinges locking etc.

One thing that is still far cheaper than the UK when you include the frame, hardware and not least the labour saving, against that I doubt that you will find many people these days in France that are capable of hanging a bare door.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I have never paid more than €30 for mid range 6 panel moulded doors, frames and all hinges locking etc.

One thing that is still far cheaper than the UK when you include the frame, hardware and not least the labour saving, against that I doubt that you will find many people these days in France that are capable of hanging a bare door.

[/quote]

I think when you are new to all this the hinges etc through you off when you compare prices to the UK, it did me I must confess. In France all you have to buy is the actual handles. When you consider that the cheapest I could find (at Wickes) was £50 for the hinges, door frame and lock before you even buy the door the French doors look a good buy.

One tip, never caught me out but I know a few that it did, is to remove the key which is normally stapled to the bottom of the door. An acquaintance of mine who is a builder and built his own house here thinks the French system (door arrives in frame with hinges and lock already installed) is excellent. He thought you could put all the doors in a house in a single day in France, even with time off for tea, where as it might take two days or more to fit them in the UK.

Buying the whole lot, frame + door, is great on a new build or major renovation; I fitted 6 in one day, something of a miracle for me! But I've been frustrated when wanting replace a single door when the rest of the room (on either side) has plaster in good condition and is well-decorated. I then have to start hacking away at the plaster surround whereas in UK I would use the old door as a template to roughly trim the new door and then start to finely trim it (admittedly probably taking the rest of the day for the single door!  [blink]).

The doors here also usually have a rebate on three edges and the rebates plus hinge and lock positions don't necessarily match the old ones, preventing use of just the door... if you thought you could discard the new frame.

Q's point about the key being stapled to the temporary bracing stay across the bottom of the frame is a good one! [;-)]

Thanks for the info and tips on the doors its very helpfull. Leroy M and Castorama are too far away from us, the Brico depot looked to have what we wanted. We have a Briconaut (helpfull but not much door stock) and a Brico marche. I have never used a Brico depot but it looked the best bet  -  until yesterday when we went back to look at the Brico marche again and found the door that we wanted. It wasn't there eight weeks ago! or before then. Sorted!

Archived