Complete France Forum

What paint to use on toile de verre?

Loiseau

I have just hung some toile de verre wallpaper, which we intend to paint. Does one have to use acrylic paint on it, or will a normal emulsion paint be ok? I was hoping to use some spare Laura Ashley matt emulsion that I have hanging around, but i think i read somewhere that it is obligatoirement peinture acrylique.

I have been reading a few French decorating forums, and somebody also said that one should use a cheap white for the first coat as the paper sops up so much. Is this true?

Thanks for any insights.

Angela

With the cost of the finish colour being so high these days I often use a white to provide the first coats, it often helps to level out the covering from a shading aspect on normal walls. I haven't used toile de verre so cant help with acrylic/emulsion but it should specify on the manufacturers instruction (mode de employ) if it is important.

I think you can use any kind of paint, as this website suggests "Elle peut ensuite être peinte avec n'importe quel type de peinture".

http://www.linternaute.com/bricolage/revetement-mural/photo/poser-de-la-toile-de-verre/poser-de-la-toile-de-verre.shtml

I've used emulsion for nearly all of our decorating and usually buy it in UK when I'm over there with the car, or if friends/family are coming over "Please bring a 10 litre tub of white emulsion !!".  I then use those colouriser tubes of pigments to get the right pastel shade.

A base coat of white, as Thiere suggests, will definitely help to give a better finish. As with all decorating, good preparation and undercoats improve the finish. 

Archived