Complete France Forum

Ceiling dripping resin

One-eyed-Jim

Our new house has a lambris ceiling throughout a lot of the ground floor.  Despite it being about 12 years old, I have noticed the odd little gluey drip, presumably coming from knots.  Can anyone recommend an easy-to-use product to seal the knots that won't colour the wood differently from all the rest (a sort of golden chestnut colour)?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have never come across "knotting liquid" in France. I have always had to bring it from England.

I also have "lambris" ceilings, installed about 25 years ago, and in one room it tends to weep a bit. Rather lazily, I have never done anything about it, beyond the initial coat of clear varnish that i put on it when it was new.

Angela

I had this stuff in three rooms and had similar problems but no fix and I wasn't going to drive 12 hours to the UK and 12 hours back for knotting liquid. I fixed mine by ripping the ceilings out in two rooms (will be doing the third very soon) and replacing them with plaster board ceilings. The first thing you notice is how much brighter the rooms are, like it hits you in the face and the second thing is this lambris stuff is an absolute fire hazard. My BIL told me this when we bought the house and he was then the Station Officer at a very large UK fire station so I think he knows what he is talking about. He is right because I spent a couple of days cutting it all in to 50cm lengths and use it to start our fire in winter and boy does it really burn. If you open the door of the fire the fumes from whatever it has been painted with make you gag and the stuff was only put up 30 years ago. So my tip is get ride of it, your have a brighter and safer house.

Thanks for those thoughts - although I now have an inaccurate but ineradicable picture in my mind of Quillan dashing through the house going amok with a chainsaw! 

I quite like the lambris.  Wonder if I could just seal the oozing knots with something like clear nail varnish - doubtless adding to the fire hazard though.....

Jim

No need to cut them down they come down quite easily. It's the way they are fixed normally with only panel pins along one edge. Once you get the first one out the rest just need a gentle pull and fall right fall down, I was supprised how little mess there was as well. I also found how easy they came down quite frightening in as much as if you have a fire the whole lot could just fall down on top of you when trying to escape. My BIL said they were just a slightly less lethal version of polystyrene tiles.

PS. I cut them up with a circular saw on the terrace, took me days. [;-)]

Archived