Complete France Forum

Stove top fans

Spyder

Gosh thats a third of the price they were back in 2009 when somebody asked the same question.

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/1/1846657/ShowPost.aspx#1846657

We just have the office fan on top of the sideboard to 'stir' the air an it works OK. If we have the air to air heater on that stirs it as well although we don't normally have both heating systems on together.

As a matter of interest has anyone used their fire yet this year?

[quote user="Quillan"]

As a matter of interest has anyone used their fire yet this year?

[/quote]

No heating on at all yet here in 16, long may it continue, although a bit of the wet stuff today.

There is a 4 blade fan now (LINK) but a bit more expensive. As I was searching for that I noticed flue liner which I am also needing. On eBay UK it's about £14 a mètre (or meter on eBay UK - is that an English metre?) (LINK) as opposed to over 40€ I have been quoted here. Just have to arrange for a bit of a holiday in the UK I suppose.

I'd echo Patf, we have one and used it last year. However, it has to be at the back of the fire and the makers specify that. We haven't got a space on the back so it's near the front, over the door, but it does seem to have warmed the room more. Not dramatically, but definitely better. Perhaps if we put it in the right place (not possible unless we put a shelf there) it would work as the makers advertise.

[quote user="Frederick"]They work some are better looking than the one shown[/quote]

Not by much unless you have an arté version you can show.

My first one is home made no picture but I like it but most probably wouldn't but it cost about £15, it was warm air circulation I was after, other things to look at [:)]

Nectarine, they say at the back so cold/cooler air works it's way through the fins at the top as to make them work efficiently one side of the generator needs to be hot and the other cool, the greater the difference in temp one side to the other the more power it will produce. Lesson over [;-)][geek]

[quote user="woolybanana"]It can only circulate the preheated air and then perhaps have a small effect on the overall air warmth. However, they don't look bad, so I might try one.[/quote]

Stoves are generally radiators and only radiate a few feet or a couple of metres if it's really hot or large. The forced air convection will push the hot air around the room so warming it much much quicker making it feel more comfortable.

There are small battery powered fans which will work just as well, cost a fraction and can be positioned above the stove near the register plate away from the real hot bit.  Rechargeable batteries could get around the cost of batteries. Depends on funds.

Portable-Battery-Operated-Fan-Black-New

We have had remarkably warm days in the NE of England, but once the evening sets in, it gets a little cooler and damper, only one really cold evening and that was last Wednesday............ and now with the dark nights, a fire is rather nice to be honest. So mine has been on for just over a week now.

You can also get a 4 bladed fan-which I am told is better (although dearer) We have one similar to the picture and I think it makes a difference although we also haven't had the fire on that much. I am considering investing in a 4 blade one.

Archived