Complete France Forum

Plumbing pipe and manifold recommendation

inspector gadget

[quote user="inspector gadget"]Am I right in thinking Multicouche and PER are 2 different brand names but same/similar technology?

Thanks[/quote]

Not brand names, types of PE, polyethylene pipe, similar PEX in the UK but multicouche has an aluminium layer sandwiched in between so once bent or formed around a bend it stays put PER doesn't have that feature.

Chancer will be a good person to discuss this with as he has used it on his properties.

Are you doing the build yourself or is it being done by a company or artisans.

If its the latter you will have to disconnect from your mindset that you can specify what you want in your home, which is of course completely reasonable, the plumber or groundworker will tell you what you are having, no discussion, take it or leave it, which is of course completely unreasonable.

If you have recieved several quotes which are for different systems and are trying to decide between them then I would go for the PER if the pipes are going to be hidden in vide sanitaires, roof spaces etc, its a cheaper and more flexible system and now my preferred choice having just changed from copper,  any visible runs would be better in multicouche as it can be run straight with regular formed bends, of course expecting an artisan to do so is another matter.

Any pipe runs through floor slabs, cloisons etc should be in gaine.

How many outlets on the manifold? One pair for each hot/cold sanitary unit, évier, lavabo, baignoir, douche etc plus one cold outlet for each W.C.

Would be a good idea to have one or two spare outlets "just in case". The manifolds do screw one into another (make sure you chose them carefully for that purpose) and you can blank the unused ends until later.

I used PER for all our new bathroom set-up because all of it runs below floor level but we have the house over many cellars (PER runs therefore on the ceilings of each cellar).

Archived