Complete France Forum

European cylinder locks?

Jonzjob

Our neighbour is concerned about the security of her house and has asked if it's possible to change the lock on her front door. At the moment the European cylinder is sat in a 35mm thick door and sticks out of the front of it by about 15mm! A 20 x 20mm lock would be about as near as I think will be possible?

The outer face of the lock should be flush with the door and I have been trying to find a 35 or 40mm cylinder but not had any luck. Does anyone know if there is a cylinder that will fit this and if so where can it be got please??? It doesn't matter if it isn't flush inside, but the outside needs to be a maximum of 20mm

Rather than edit my post it's clearer this way, I think [8-)]

I have answered my own question by phoning Yale U.K. tech guys. They told me that the shortest double cylinder is a 30 x 30mm jobbie. So my next job is going to be to fit a 13mm-ish lump of oak on the outside of the door so that a 30 x 30 cylinder will fit flush on the outside. An easy solution really..

Blimey TP, you should know that anything that I touch ain't going to be that simple [8-)] Oh that it were..

The escutcheon is a fancy steel plate about a couple of mill thick, so the absolute max of the door is about 37 or 38mm thick. No problem on the keys side, unless you count not being able to find them in her bag [:-))]

I have some nice ex TV cabinet oak in my workshop and that will do a fine job. I may even route a Roman ogee on the vertical sides [8-|]

European cylinders can be specified in various lengths and offsets but there is a minimum length to accomodate the mechanism.

The shortest being a 27mm single cylinder or a 55mm double cylinder, the Evva references are EHZ50 and ADZ2

The longest cylinders if you have a Fort Knox door project 121mm each side [:-))]

I use Assa locking on the flats and the bolt through design of the lockcase means that the outer esccutcheon cannot be removed and its form will resist any attempt to grip it and break the cylinder. I do use European oval cylinders though

http://www.advantecstore.com/static/luna/images/products/1/6501-HW-LCKAS005_Locksets_ASSA_Misc_Thumbturn2.jpg

Archived