Complete France Forum

Polished cement floors

sunny

[quote user="stubborngirl"]I'm so happy to have found this forum: can somebody please tell me what stained concrete is in French? My husband (French) and I are renovating. We have a new concrete slab for our open-plan kitchen and lounge and I finally convinced him to finish the concrete instead of tiling but now he thinks I mean beton cire, which is more like polished concrete, and not much cheaper than tiling, as it really needs to be done by a professional. I want to stain the concrete and I want us to do it as I see that loads of people in US and elsewhere have done with good results. Can anyone help?[/quote]

Hi Stubborngirl, welcome to the forum.

As you know about beton cire you have the advantage of some of us. Staining concrete is usually and I mean usually (bound to be another new product out there!) done when the concrete is wet. There are people who spraycrete for driveways or pattern inprint as one of the previous posts shows. They may be able to do the colours and coating smooth but it will still be a skilled job. But you could give it a go using self leveling latex floor skim and adding the dye.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

Self levelling (Laytex) screed is generaly too sof and porous for a finished floor or a 'Tight' finish.

A cementitious grout would likely be better

[/quote]

Agreed Big Mac, but I gather from her post that Stubborngirl and partner are not necessarily trowel skilled to get the finish.

Thanks, BP, I'll check that one out and also the other one by Bob Harris: Guide to Stained Concrete Interior Floors.

The slab has been poured and cured and while hubby can probably wield a trowel I have trouble with the iron (!), so forget about anything more complicated than a paint roller or sprayer from me. The websites I've come across that sell the kind of product I'm looking are Kemiko.com and SimStain.com, but both are in the US and I have no idea if these products are available in France or not. Have fired off an email to them, asking.

It seems that no one on this forum has experience in what I'm trying to do anyway so I will at least say thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge with me. I'm quite pleased to have found this forum. Will get back to you with more questions soon, I'm sure.

stubborngirl

Archived