Traditional chedar cheese

We have had a full cheese given to us for Christmas, covered in very smelly cheese cloth with an aroma reminiscent of an old cellar, What do you do with it? Do you peel off the skin/rind? Feed it to the mice? The thought was great but my experience is limited to opening a packet of Cathedral chedar!!

[quote user="retread"]We have had a full cheese given to us for Christmas, covered in very smelly cheese cloth with an aroma reminiscent of an old cellar, What do you do with it? Do you peel off the skin/rind? Feed it to the mice? The thought was great but my experience is limited to opening a packet of Cathedral chedar!![/quote]

As a kid I used to love eating the rind......also the skin off of real rice pudding.

Yes I have, and as I love strong cheese I liked it.  Last year we went to an upmarket restaurant in Waltham NYS, the waiters seemed to go into minute detail about each dish before we ordered it and was a little non plussed when he mentioned Stinking Bishop and I had heard about it previously, he obviously looked upon it with great reverence.......[:)]

Stinking Bishop is not really a smelly cheese.  It is called SB because the cheese once made is washed in  pear juice of the fruit called Stinking Bishop.

I make cheeses and sometimes the rind can be quite thick on a really mature hard cheese.  Just cut it off and enjoy the rest.  I made a stilton once with a skin about half an inch thick but it was worth it once you get through it. 

The skin gets thicker as it gets older so this cheese prolly cost a lot of money.  Dont throw it away, give it to someone who will appreciate the cheesemakers art and skill if you dont fancy it.  I love the alchemy involved in cheesemaking.  Did you know that by heating the milk one degree over the recipe requirements will create a totally different cheese.  Also the time the curds are stirred for or how they are stacked after cutting will alter flavour and testure........ Fascinating!!!!

Gail

[quote user="Gail Smith"]

I make cheeses and sometimes the rind can be quite thick on a really mature hard cheese.  Just cut it off and enjoy the rest.  I made a stilton once with a skin about half an inch thick but it was worth it once you get through it. 

The skin gets thicker as it gets older so this cheese prolly cost a lot of money.  Dont throw it away, give it to someone who will appreciate the cheesemakers art and skill if you dont fancy it.Gail

[/quote]

You now present me with a problem the rind is almost non existant once the cheesecloth is removed, my belief is that this youngish cheese has been kept somewhere damp and thus has picked up a most un preposessing odour, not cheesy at all just a mixture of dry rot and drain, is this reasonable?