Permit for boating on the Dordogne

I don't know about the Dordogne, but on Le Loir we are only allowed to use electric outboards, they're not wonderful but OK for poodling about and fishing. Good thing is they are cheap to buy and 12 Volt leisure batteries are not expensive.

The Dordogne is protected and motor boats are not usually allowed, except the tourist boats and emergency vehicles.  And in most places round our bit, it's too shallow to use an outboard, hence the canoes and why the old boats that historically used the river were so shallow draft.

Thanks all. We are near Bergerac. We certainly see occasional boats on the river and indeed one is kept by somebody on the opposite bank (who I must speak to). Whether it is an electric outboard or not I don't know. I'm just thinking of a 3.5-4.0m flat-hulled boat usually used for fishing in shallow rivers and creeks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Whilst I have been getting to the bottom of this permission lark, a rather annoying thing happened - the wreck of a plastic tub that we had tied up at the bank (this was just a 2 metre hulk that had been patched up to float!) was stolen! some pirate came along and simply cut the cord! actually I wasn't that bothered (otherwise I'd have taken slightly more security measures) but how sad is that? I mention this as a warning to others - there are desperate thieves on the Dordogne!