Yes, they are in my opinion. Also a friend of mine was recently removed of his wallet with the usual credit cards, driving licence etc, as he was about to board the tram at Comedie, he felt a brush on his leg but was in the course of boarding, the doors closed and then realised he had been the victim of pickpockets. There are professionals out there watching for likely candidates at places like this and time their move precisely.

Shame. Felt someone feeling inside my shoulder bag on the Ramblas in Barcelona last year - they'd only have found an old lipstick and comb if they'd been lucky, I don't keep my money in there. But you expect it on the Ramblas.

Went to Beziers last night to the feria and felt perfectly safe wandering up and down the Paul Ricquet Allee (which I call Beziers Ramblas) Maybe I was just lucky but nobody tried to put their sticky fingers in my bag and it was a great atmosphere. Shame that Montpellier's going the way of Barcelona. Just got to be careful at all times, and that includes not leaving your handbag on a chair in a restaurant as a friend of mine was relieved of hers this way.

[quote user="Ceejay"]Yes, they are in my opinion. Also a friend of mine was recently removed of his wallet with the usual credit cards, driving licence etc, as he was about to board the tram at Comedie, he felt a brush on his leg but was in the course of boarding, the doors closed and then realised he had been the victim of pickpockets. There are professionals out there watching for likely candidates at places like this and time their move precisely.
[/quote]

This is a good warning, but I'd hate to think of anyone put off from visiting this city. It's a vibrant place.

Just take sensible precautions in crowded places, particularly the tram stop at Comedie where there are more than a few undesirables around.

We visit the city regularly (for the CHU) and have never felt threatened. 

Thank you Sue.

Just been on another little white train, the one which takes you to Maguelone Cathedral. Wonderful day out.

No, nothing would put me off Montpellier, best city in France (including Paris!)

I wouldn't say Montpellier is particularly bad compared to other cities.

As always, take normal precautions and you will be OK.

Google "montpellier warning pickpockets" to read about another incident at the Comedie tramspot.

Peter