Complete France Forum

Another star in the Sky at Night?

Russethouse

What an inspirational guy he was! I remember when I was at primary school in the fifties and the girl who sat next to me wrote to Patrick. The televison programme, The Sky at night, had just started but I had no idea what she was talking about; we didn't get a TV for another 4 years!  He wrote back with a signed photograph. The whole class was informed and very impressed.

Brian Cox says that he was first inspired by Patrick Moore.

[quote user="betty"]Flt Lt Sir Patrick Moore RAF (Retd) What a shame. R.I.P. Sir Patrick[/quote]

and it would seem that there are things about his wartime service (good) that have not been told and are in the heroic class.

Yes, an inspiration for anyone interested in astronomy - if you could keep up with what he was saying. Apparently, he could reach 300 words per minute.

[quote user="betty"]PaulT wrote "and it would seem that there are things about his wartime service (good) that have not been told and are in the heroic class". Yes with Bomber Command, a navigator who knew where he was.[/quote]I think that everyone who served as aircrew in bomber command was a hero. Their life expectancy was about 6 months and many did not make it home.

He was a resident teacher at a small school in Kent in the early fifties. I was priviledged (though I didn't know it at the time) to be taught maths by him. I was lucky enough to visit his house in East Grinstead and peer through his telescope in a converted potting shed. Space travel in those days he deemed 'impossible'!

Kong

Flt Lt Sir Patrick Moore FRS RAF (Retd)

Fellow of the Royal Society .... and an amateur.

Many of our best scientists historically have been just that - amateurs.  Another icon gone, whether you were into astronomy or not.

Also very talented musically  - my memory of him on a quiz 'face the music" perhaps, showed a rather better knowledge of music than one would have expected.  They don't make 'em like that anymore!