Royal Hospital Nurse Hoax victim takes her own life

Frederick

But no Russethouse - you cannot possibly say she is dead because of two adults idea of a childish prank - you don't know that. You're speculating.

I know - let's ban all prank calls shall we? That should sort it. (!)

I maintain that suicide is indeed a selfish act - no regard is given to the people left behind - regardless of culture. You're entitled to your own opinion on that one but please don't twist my words.

Chiefluvvie

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No RH I don't think it's ok - I think it's stupid and infantile not to mention an unacceptable breach of privacy - something for the hospital to look at.

Many laughed and were amused by the original prank until it all went horribly wrong. But, to blame the DJ's for the suicide of the nurse is madness.

I guess Jeremy Beadle (and others) was lucky not to have someone drop dead of a heart attack during one of his pranks. He would have been pilloried and remembered very differently if that that had ever happened - but would he have foreseen it or wanted it to happen? I doubt it! We just laughed.......luckily

Chiefluvvie

Can't we all accept that sh*t happens sometimes and just because a tradegy occurs we don't have to hang, draw and quarter someone who didn't intend the consequences

Remember Noel Edmunds ? Someone did die recording one of his programmes, although they knew they were taking a risk.......

Funny how the King Edward VII has managed all these years without incident.( as far as we know)

You are right, none of know why the lady committed suicide however my gut feeling is that without these two 'prangsters' she would be alive today.......

I agree RH - some of us can accept that unintentional sh*t happens. Although...you, and others, still seek to blame the 2 DJ's for the death of the nurse ....'she would be alive today' - you don't know that.

The Noel Edmunds show incident was during a recording of a stunt - not really comparable to a prank call. Indeed he was pilloried and he disappeared from UK TV for a long time afterwards - he became the scapegoat. Up until that moment the viewers had lapped up his programme.

Chiefluvvie

I heard the whole "prank" call replayed as part of some radio prog like "World at One" on the day it happened. So presumably hundreds of other radio and TV progs played and replayed it too. Even hearing yourself on air just once saying something embarrassing would be bad enough ( unless perhaps you were a politician), but to be ambushed by rehearing it on every channel you tuned into and knowing your bosses and the whole nation - if not the world - were listening to it too would be pretty destabilising.

Angela

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"] I guess Jeremy Beadle (and others) was lucky not to have someone drop dead of a heart attack during one of his pranks. He would have been pilloried and remembered very differently if that that had ever happened - but would he have foreseen it or wanted it to happen? I doubt it! We just laughed.......luckily Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Beadles pranks were done with the full knowledge co_operation and complicity of the so called victim as well as the bystanders, ost of which were actors, it wasnt candid camera or even hidden camera, no more so than any of the camera caché programs that still go out, they are recorded with multiple cameras, some on rails, sound and lighting equipment, sometimes you see the boom mike drop into shot other times you can see that the victims are wearing microphones and transmitters.

Real Candid camera which Peter Dulay mastered had one drawback as a means of entertainment, poor sound quality due to the need to hide the microphone as well as the camera, the camera quality was also very poor compared to Beadle and the others but given it was truly hidden camera footage it was quite extra-ordinary.

If you want proof of this do some searching on the breach of copyright action brought by the owners of Candid Camera against the Beadle show, the defence of the Beadle producers was that they did not use hidden cameras at all, the show was entertainment not candid camera.

I also thought about the Noel Edmonds "Whirly Wheeler" tragic stunt, I remember the guy getting the phone call and being so so excited, within a few days he was dead, the show had hired a stunt co-ordinator without any experience or qulifications whatsoever unless you call selling plastic dog turds and sneeze powder on his stand at Crawley market.

Not sure whether Edmonds did the honourable thing or was just dumped as the scapegoat and figurehead.

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]The 2 Australian DJ's were playing a prank - just like the thousands before them have played in the media. We have all at one time or another laughed at some of these pranks - indeed some laughed at the hospital one before the suicide of the nurse. No one has ever died before because of a radio prank call. There is absolutely no way the DJ's could have foreseen the tragic outcome and in no way did they ever expect or want that outcome. There was no intention to harm, no malice - just like when I go out in my car or fly a plane - I have no intention of harming anyone but sh*t happens - sometimes. The DJ's are not to blame for the death of Jacintha Saldhana - she committed suicide - an entirely selfish act in itself. No one, except her, knows why she did it. Chiefluvvie[/quote]

I'm not picking a fight here but I think your wrong and this is why.

When you fly your plane or drive your car you are going about your business from one place to another. When these DJ's are working they are there to play music which is why they are called DJs short for Disk Jockey.

If you decided for instance to attempt to loop the loop in your plane or do 'doughnuts' in your car in the high street for fun and somebody ends up dead then its your fault, it is nothing to do with sh*t happening. In this case these DJ's went and did something other than the job they are actually paid for and it went wrong, terribly wrong.

Perhaps committing suicide in our culture may be selfish but it is also a very brave thing to do. The nurse was not from our culture even though she was a Catholic and quite possibly felt that the shame was hers and too great for her to carry on.

But, all that aside and perhaps where we do have some common ground is that we don't actually know for sure and won't know until the coroners court has held its investigation. Did she for instance leave a note and if so is the only contributory reason for her killing her self. In short we have to wait and see.

Chiefluvvie wrote:

So...what are you saying Angela ?

Just that the prank initially may have seemed fairly harmless, but its effects were compounded by the clip being endlessly replayed on the media. I know when i was listening to the World at One story as a news item, I thought "please don't actually play the clip". And then they did.

So the DJs are carrying the can, but the rest of the world's media endlessly rerunning the story probably contributed much to the poor woman's suicidal state of mind.

Angela

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]The 2 Australian DJ's were playing a prank - just like the thousands before them have played in the media. We have all at one time or another laughed at some of these pranks - indeed some laughed at the hospital one before the suicide of the nurse. No one has ever died before because of a radio prank call. There is absolutely no way the DJ's could have foreseen the tragic outcome and in no way did they ever expect or want that outcome. There was no intention to harm, no malice - just like when I go out in my car or fly a plane - I have no intention of harming anyone but sh*t happens - sometimes. The DJ's are not to blame for the death of Jacintha Saldhana - she committed suicide - an entirely selfish act in itself. No one, except her, knows why she did it. Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Sorry CL but I too am going to disagree.

I am sure there was no expectation of the very tragic consequences, but in the end this prank was always going to have a victim if it succeeded.

Any thinking individual would have realised that if they were put through, then the person accepting the call would be likely to be censured by their employer or worse sacked.   That I think would be a perfectly predictable outcome.

The 2 DJs - in the name of entertainment - seem to have given no thought to any potential fall out from their jape.  In that respect they are no different from the person who jumps into their car after one too many drinks - the punishment for which is well known and quite severe.

AFAIK there was no intention to harm  - but only because they gave no thought whatsoever to the potential indeed probable consequences - and that condemnation goes right the way up the management chain of the radio station.

[quote user="Loiseau"]Chiefluvvie wrote: So...what are you saying Angela ? Just that the prank initially may have seemed fairly harmless, but its effects were compounded by the clip being endlessly replayed on the media. I know when i was listening to the World at One story as a news item, I thought "please don't actually play the clip". And then they did. So the DJs are carrying the can, but the rest of the world's media endlessly rerunning the story probably contributed much to the poor woman's suicidal state of mind. Angela[/quote]

Not to mention it seems, sadly, that they have given three interviews now and each one being lightly different in whom they blame.

Didnt the call come through at 5.30 in the morning?

Presumably the DJ's didnt want to spoil their well earned sleep to call at a regular hour, in any case the hospital switchboard was unlikely to have been running normally, probably on night service and ringing in all the nurses stations.

From what we have seen of all concerned looking to blame someone else what do you think would have happened to this poor nurse if she hadnt committed suicide?

Scapegoat?

If that is likely then there was always going to be someone hurt.

Quillan - you've misunderstood my point about the car / plane. I was using it to illustrate that we all start our day - not knowing what could happen - not knowing what the outcome of any of our actions will be. There can't be many (sane) people who want to cause death. I don't believe the DJ's were insane - like for instance I would be if I downed a few drinks before flying i.e. you'd expect a bad outcome! they didn't expect a bad outcome - they expected the joke to be on them.

BTW - I thing the days of DJ's simply spinning discs have long gone!

Apparently Jacintha did leave a note for her family - so we'll see......

I'd be interested to know what on earth has happened to the other nurse - the one who actually passed on the info.

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"] I'd be interested to know what on earth has happened to the other nurse - the one who actually passed on the info. Chiefluvvie[/quote]

I determined not to pass any comment on this thread as my thoughts are likely to upset an inordinate number of people.

However, Chiefluvvie, you sure know how to invite people into the fray ....

I believe that the other nurse has been put into a straight jacket and is being guarded day and night [6]

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]I'd be interested to know what on earth has happened to the other nurse - the one who actually passed on the info.

Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Why? How do you think it will help this poor woman or add anything to this thread?

It's this endless pursuit into every nook and cranny and under every stone that fuels the gutter press to feed the answer, any answer that they feel will sell papers, to people like you.  No personal offence intended of course.

[quote user="Russethouse"]- they expected the joke to be on them.

Now that I doubt...they expected the joke to be at the expense of the Royal family who have the anxiety of having a newly pregnant member of their family, in hospital.

Frankly CL I think it might be time to stop digging......[/quote]

Do you indeed RH - why? because I don;t hold the same views as you?

Both DJ's have stated that they intended the joke to be on them - they never imagined they would put through to anyone. One of them was barking like a demented Corgi in the backgroud - it was, as far as they were concerned, a 'prank' call . I can only assume you think they are liars as well as being responsible for the death of Jacintha.

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="Chiefluvvie"]I'd be interested to know what on earth has happened to the other nurse - the one who actually passed on the info.

Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Why? How do you think it will help this poor woman or add anything to this thread?

It's this endless pursuit into every nook and cranny and under every stone that fuels the gutter press to feed the answer, any answer that they feel will sell papers, to people like you.  No personal offence intended of course.

[/quote]

Now then Benjamin....

What I or anyone else may think will not help Jacintha in the slightest - ridiculous point.

However, I think it's important to have as much information as possible before condemning someone to the 'forum gallows'.

Open minded 'people like me' would therefore possibly want to know what part the 2nd nurse played post the prank call - specifically what interaction s/he had with Jacintha.

No personal offence taken - you are just words on a screen as far as I'm concerned :-)

Chiefluvvie

No, not because you don't hold the same view but because the more you write the weaker your argument gets AFAIAC As you said they didn't expect to be put through, and had no plan if they were,( how dim was that ) they hadn't considered that at the hour it was likely to be a nurse who answered the phone, how inconsiderate that was, or that the member of staff who answered may not have been born in the UK and maybe had no idea of the Queens voice, ( even though many nursing staff in the UK come from outside these shores originally ) or know that the Queen hardly ever makes these calls herself.

In fact they just didn't think ( except about what a fillip it would give their careers). Full stop.

RH - I AGREE with you - they (and others) didn't think and they are infantile jerks BUT - they clearly did not intend for someone to commit suicide as a result of their prank call. Nobody, but nobody foresaw that one coming....

The 'shortfalls' (for want of a better word) you list above would never have entered anyone's head if the last we'd heard of this sad episode was Prince Charles et al joking about it........

It's sooooo very easy to be sanctimonious after the fact.

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="powerdesal"]''Both DJ's have stated that they intended the joke to be on them - they never imagined they would put through to anyone.''

If they never imagined they would be put through then why make the call at all ??????????[/quote]

Have you watched their interviews powerdesal?

Essentially they thought their listeners would find it funny if they were told to get lost / hung up on - it was a PRANK call.

They are (were?) radio DJ's - not psychologists!

Chiefluvvie