The Forum and new browsers

Rabbie

There have been several posts about issues with the forum and more modern browsers like Chrome. IE9 for example only works in compatability mode.   Having a little free time I decided to check the forum against the W3 HTML Validator. On the page which displays the active threads it gave no fewer than 430 error and 61 warnings.

This would explain many of the issues people sometimes have with this forum. Perhaps the support people could look at this and correct some of the errors

I find that it takes ages to load a page from the forum now; this is a relatively recent thing for me but I've been on IE9 for a long time. It's almost as if the hosting site is overloaded or just plain slow. sometimes I have to click the refresh button several times just to wake it up! I don't get this anywhere else that I'm aware of.

I very rarely use IE9 but I have fired up with the site and is seems about the speed same as in Firefox, my browser of choice, however one odd issues I have is that I cannot move the curser with the mouse, I have to use the arrow keys instead.

Can't be ar*se to investigate it though, I'll just forget about it again and go back to my trusty Firefox.

EDIT: Back in FF now but in IE when I tried to put a [;-)] on the end of the message I lost control of the message box entirely, fortunately the 'post' button still worked.

I don't have any of those problems, ANO, ([:D] IE9 and a smiley) it's just this stuttering speed loading a page; sometimes it just stops completely. I'm going to try Firefox again to compare, although my last trial wasn't a raging success; I think I've been using IE for too long! [:D]  

I can't get quotations to work. I can't get images to show, I can't get smilies to work, and I can't make links work. Ever.

Google Chrome on a new windows 8 laptop - Its not as if this is some obscure and out of date browser that nobody supports - Get it sorted!

Dave, ordering people to do something rarely works in my experience, unless of course you are paying them, and even then asking probably gets better results...

I don't have problems with Firefox or IE but as we supposedly changed last year so that the forum was more friendly to mobile devices it seems ironic that it still doesn't like Safari which is used by iPads

Not only does it appear to dislike Safari, but, having just been in France with only an Ipad and a 3G internet connection for the last week, I have to say I was surprised at how very, very, very long (compared to several sites on other platforms) it could take to open a page.

I'd also like to say that I have never been able to insert a link using Firefox, either. Despite it being no problem for ANO. I am no internet novice and perfectly capable of understanding what I should do. It's simply that, when I do it, it doesn't work. I have to type brackets url before and after anything I want to link to.

[quote user="dave21478"]I can't get quotations to work. I can't get images to show, I can't get smilies to work, and I can't make links work. Ever.

Google Chrome on a new windows 8 laptop - Its not as if this is some obscure and out of date browser that nobody supports - Get it sorted![/quote]

FWIW I have a laptop here with Windows 8 clean installed for evaluation, I have just installed Chrome on it and am using it for this post so clearly I am able to quote !

I have to expand the text window each time as it is compressed to about 1/2 screen width.

I agree that the normal toolbar for inserting images or smilieys is missing but images can be inserted manually.

Here is an image:

[img]www.jimatkinsonwebdesign.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/google-chrome.jpg[/img]

and here is a link, again manually inserted.

[url]http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2841202/ShowPost.aspx[/url]

It will be interesting to see how it comes out, the preview does not bode well as it has removed all the line breaks !

Well that wasn't impressive !

Here is what I actually wrote in Chrome.

[quote user="dave21478"]I can't get quotations to work. I can't get images to show, I can't get smilies to work, and I can't make links work. Ever.

Google Chrome on a new windows 8 laptop - Its not as if this is some obscure and out of date browser that nobody supports - Get it sorted![/quote]

FWIW I have a laptop here with Windows 8 clean installed for evaluation, I have just installed Chrome on it and am using it for this post so clearly I am able to quote !

I have to expand the text window each time as it is compressed to about 1/2 screen width.

I agree  that the normal toolbar for inserting images or smilieys is missing but images can be inserted manually.

Here is an image:

[img]http://www.jimatkinsonwebdesign.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/google-chrome.jpg[/img]

and here is a link, again manually inserted.

[url]http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2841202/ShowPost.aspx[/url]

It will be interesting to see how it comes out, the preview does not bode well as it has removed all the line breaks !

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]I'd also like to say that I have never been able to insert a link using Firefox, either.[/quote]I'm afraid word blindness or altzheimers got the better of me there and although I'm sure I must have read that Dave was using Chrome it simply didn't register [:$]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]I'd also like to say that I have never been able to insert a link using Firefox, either. Despite it being no problem for ANO. I am no internet novice and perfectly capable of understanding what I should do. [/quote]

Like ANO I have no problem quoting links with FF ... and I'm positive I am much more the computer novice than you are Betty, so I feel that there must be something ticked - or unticked - somewhere preventing you.

To re-present ANO's link: http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2841202/ShowPost.aspx

Sue

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="You can call me Betty"]I'd also like to say that I have never been able to insert a link using Firefox, either. Despite it being no problem for ANO. I am no internet novice and perfectly capable of understanding what I should do. [/quote]

Like ANO I have no problem quoting links with FF ... and I'm positive I am much more the computer novice than you are Betty, so I feel that there must be something ticked - or unticked - somewhere preventing you.

To re-present ANO's link: http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2841202/ShowPost.aspx

Sue

[/quote]

Let's have another crack at it, then.

Nope, still not working.

However, by the simple expedient of doing it longhand, I can insert a link. Just takes longer.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Dave, ordering people to do something rarely works in my experience, unless of course you are paying them, and even then asking probably gets better results...

I don't have problems with Firefox or IE but as we supposedly changed last year so that the forum was more friendly to mobile devices it seems ironic that it still doesn't like Safari which is used by iPads[/quote]

That quote won't have worked either, but its the thought that counts. Or something.

This is supposed to be a serious, professional forum with tie-ins to a magazine, yet it would seem that some basic I.T. is well and truly beyond those in charge. Or perhaps they don't actually give a damn? I would suspect that if people don't complain more, then nothing will be done. There is absolutely no excuse these days for any website to not support on of the largest web browsers available.

Or is it a case of a France forum emulating the unconcerned French - "it works ok on my screen so its not my problem." Given the state of many big French companies websites, its a miracle they work with anything beyond Netscape Navigator and windows 95.

• 3 weeks later...

Spurred by a PM which I thought I ought to reply to I have recently rejoined the forum after 13 months. Although I am now in deepest Herefordshire with fairly poor internet access, I have no problems with the other half dozen or so forums/fora I use. I find that the only quick way I can post a reply here is by clicking on the 'size' button at which point the cursor become a line in the reply box.

What is going on with this forum? I don't seem to be able to quote from posts now. I am using IE9 and Windows 7. It really detracts from using this forum when the software is so awkward to use compared to other forums.  Please do something to improve this  ASAP

[quote user="Rabbie"]Yes I am not stupid. The forum is getting more and more awkward to use. wnhy can't they write correct html[/quote]

Works perfectly well on my old fashioned system (XP and IE8). I always believe the old saying "if it ain't broke" So I'm happy to plod along till I'm dragged kicking and screaming up to date. By the way I love your droll sense of humour, "wnhy can't they write correct html" did you get that from Ernie Wise. [;-)]

Happy to hear you have no problems. My laptop came with the current setup so I saw no need to change that just because one forum won't work properly with uptodate browsers. As I said in my OP in this thread the HTML is not valid for this forum. I fail to see what is so amusing about that.  It seems that the owners of this forum have been a bit tricked by their software suppliers. 

Ivor, the Comparability button is the one which looks like a piece of paper torn in half that you see just to the right of the box you type a web address in  on later versions of IE. It sometimes helps with websites that don't work properly with uptodate browsers

[quote user="Rabbie"]Ivor, the Comparability button is the one which looks like a piece of paper torn in half that you see just to the right of the box you type a web address in  on later versions of IE. It sometimes helps with websites that don't work properly with uptodate browsers[/quote]

Whoa!!! Thank you Rabbie. I had often wondered what that thing was...actually I hadn't seen it before, if I am honest.

Now my agrophobic cursor has received therapy and I can do quotes like the grown ups.

Thanks again.