Complete France Forum

Does autumn really start just after August 15?

mint

Was it idun who said she could always sense a difference in the air after August 15?

As I have been thinking about this, I reckon that I, too, sense something changing.  Yes, it's still definitely too hot for comfort and the sun's rays, even on cloudy days, feel too strong for my sensitive skin.  Also, my chest is protesting a bit and I am thinking of upping my asthma medication.

However, there is a definite change in the air, the breeze a tad briskyier and a bit less like a hot unwelcome kiss.

Let's have some thoughts on this, wherever you might be in France or the UK[:)]

Cooler and fresher, yes, certainly. Plants too are showing signs of getting tired; marguerites gone over, hosta leaves showing signs fatigue, some zinnias finishing, for example, now replaced by dahlias which are going strong.

Swallows etc either gone or gathering on cables yesterday.

One test of autumn is the increase in dew in the mornings, so yes, season on the change here.

Not recent. Noticed it from the mid 80's after we moved to our French village.

Just that change, a slight cooling and the breeze had the scent of autumn in it. And also, from the 15th we would see the first changes in some leaves on the many trees we surrounding our French house.

Temperature wise the average highs are greatest in July and August. So, yes, after about 15th August there will be a gradual cooling more noticeable perhaps as a relief from the really high temperatures of the previous two months.

This link gives the official viewpoint

https://about-france.com/tourism/autumn-fall.htm

Autumn is the best time of the year for us in France.

BinB, yes, still very hot and sunny here.  After dipping a few degrees, the maximum temperature for the next few days is forecast to be 32.  As that's still about 6° below the 38 we have had for days, it feels slightly less oppressive.

There is now a bit of breeze in the evenings instead of being almost completely still.  In the daytime, the sunlight is blinding.  Harvesting has been going on for a couple of weeks and the sunflowers are now over the top.  Just below our balcony where our garden drops away into neighbouring fields, I can see the "arrosage" machine pumping away, making its click-click noise and the jets of water rise up into plumes.  I lean on the railing and breathe in the air dampened by spray.  Unfortunately the jets don't actually get as far as the plants in our garden!

Archived