Complete France Forum

A Euro delivery charge on each item bought on-line?

NormanH

Seeing that there isn't a single business in our village, and the internet is variable at best, maybe the money will go to ?? Sounds to me that the mayor of Cannes is a bit short of publicity. We only encourage these people by voting. LOL

You can see the sense in what they are trying to achieve, but exactly how it would/could be put into force is another matter.

It is also a tax on those who live outside the cities. For example there is no hobby and craft shop within 60km of where we live. We do patronise this shop on the one occasion per month when we visit the city; but between times if something runs out, that is urgently needed, we order on-line. Putting a 1€ charge will do nothing to increase the turnover of the shop and I doubt will realistically reduce their taxes.

Since the large supermarkets have done more than anything else to reduce the trade of local shops, I suggest that small towns and villages have toll gates at their entrances, where a small levy is charged on items brought in which could have been bought locally.

This would also create some much needed employment in rural areas, and many places already have old toll houses, which could be requisitioned and put to use.

If successful, the practice could be extended to collect money to be used for road maintenance and repair, improving local amenities, etc.

Love to know how it's planned to enforce this on online purchases made from outside France.

Over the summer, I helped a friend order some ceramic glazes online, and, despite the postage cost, the cheapest source was my normal supplier, who happens to be based in Ireland. Cheaper than buying the same product in either France or Belgium, with a wider choice and a vastly more transparent pricing strategy, too.

As others have said, it all sounds laudable, but a large proportion of stuff that's bought online is bought because it's just not available in local shops....so how is this idea going to change things?