Euro Tunnel Booking with Tesco

mary

Hi Can anyone help with the following pls.

I have Tesco vouchers which my OH collectes as he still lives in the UK. 

I exchanged the vouchers for the Eurol tunnel but Tesco do  not allow you to depart from Calais - Folkestone and retun that way.  Ie France - Uk and UK - France. 

So, I booked a return from Folkeston - Calais and Calais to Folkeston, as if I was living in the UK.  I then purchase a single ticket from Folkeston to Calais for my return.  Ie, we will not use the outward tickest from Calais to Folkeston, but just use the return, and then the single ticket to return us back to France.

I had a thought his morning, that if we do not use the booking going out from Folkeston - Calais, which we wont be using as we are in France, will the ticket still be ok to do the return (France - UK).  Rang the helpline and they have said no, as we have not turned up for the first part of the booking.  I told them that I was now having to fly out to france and drive back and was not asking for a refund.  They have said that Tesco will not allow a departure from Claais first which I understand, but what I don't get, is if I don't turn up for the Folkestone - Calais, then bookiung I will show up as a no show and loose the whole ticket.

Has anyone done the same thing, and will it cancel the booking if I do not use the first crossing from Folkestone - Calais or is she just telling mne this as I have used Tesco vouchers.  What does it matter to them.  I just need to have confirmation, that I I dont use the first part of the tickets, then the whole ticket becomes cancelled.  Would this be the case if I was not using tesco vouchers?

Thanks, Vida

HI

I have found the info...I spoke to a very helpful  man this time at Euro Tunnel..  They have said, if they havent taken me out, then in theory can't take me back to the Uk as I havent gone out to France.  It's the same terms and conditions for everyone, not just Tesco.

Looks like I have learnt the hard way!!!!  May try and trasfer for the family to come out at Xmas with the tickets (AS long as I say it is me, as you can't transfer the tickets to anyone elses name!!)

Not wishing to add to your woes but please be careful if you let someone else use the tickets.

Eurotunnel used to be very hot on checking that the 'buyer' of the ticket was actually travelling (eg checking against passport or credit card used to make the booking) Not sure if they are still so hot or if it is different for the Tesco offer but please just be aware.

(edited - Jeez I wish I could type properly)

There would be a way around it Vida but if you have already made your booking and cannot change it,  it may not work for you.

You could buy a single ticket for the France to England leg and then only use the outgoing England to France part of your Tesco return ticket.

There will be those that tell you that your credit/debit card will be emptied if you do not complete the return leg according to their booking terms but this has never happened to me (yet!) and I do/have done it with Eurotunnel, Transmanche and P&O.

For maximum economy you could even buy the cheaper  48 hr return for the France to England leg and not use the return but that would be pushing things and "surtout il ne faut pas deconner" [:D]

I think Pierre has a point as you have to use the credit/debit card used to make the booking in the new self check-in machines, and the staff at the manned barriers also ask for it.  Thus you need to make sure the person using your ticket has your card and - if they use a manned barrier, something which is occasionally necessary - they need to be the same sex as well!

The return ticket snag arises because the return portion of your ticket is issued on the outward journey - I imagine this is what causes the problem.

[quote user="J.R. gone native"]

.There will be those that tell you that your credit/debit card will be emptied if you do not complete the return leg according to their booking terms but this has never happened to me (yet!) [/quote]

Of course Vida follow J R's  advice  but perhaps before doing so read his other posts about his dispute with AXA[:P][:P]