Complete France Forum

Translation please....

Pancake

Could someone  translate this please....

Jolie petite maison , conviviale, comprenant cuisine, séjour, petite pièce. A l'étage: deux chambres à l'étage.Grenir aménagé. Petite dependance avec cuisine, chambre, mezzanine. Plus salle d'eau ,wc. terrain non attenant avec garage; idéal maison de vacances; possibilité d'acheter en meublé.

My translation is a bit confusing...to me anyway.This is the Australian translation... [:D]

Pretty small home, convivial, understanding kitchen, stay, small room. On the floor: two rooms on the floor. Done up Grenir. Dependance baby with kitchen, brings to room temperature, mezzanine. More room of water, toilet. not annexed ground with garage; ideal home of vacation; possibility of buying there furnished.

Thanks.....

Just another example why one should never count on online translators.

Anyways, here's my (rough) translation:

Small pretty house, friendly (maybe user-friendly??), containing a kitchen, living room, and a small room.  Upstairs : two bedrooms upstairs.  Converted attic with kitchen, bedroom, mezzanine.  Plus a water closet,bathroom. land adjacent to the garage; ideal holiday home, possible to buy it furnished.

[quote user="Pancake"]

Could someone  translate this please....

Jolie petite maison , conviviale, comprenant cuisine, séjour, petite pièce. A l'étage: deux chambres à l'étage.Grenir aménagé. Petite dependance avec cuisine, chambre, mezzanine. Plus salle d'eau ,wc. terrain non attenant avec garage; idéal maison de vacances; possibilité d'acheter en meublé.

[/quote]

Small, pretty house, convivial, comprising kitchen, living room, small room.  Upstairs: two bedrooms, converted attic.  Small outbuilding with kitchen, bedroom, mezzanine, plus shower room (that's what they usually mean by salle d'eau, no bath, but a shower), toilet.  Land separate from house with a garage.  Ideal holiday home, possibility of purchasing furnished.

My translator came out with this.........................

Pretty small house, convivial, containing kitchen, stay, small piece. To the floor: two rooms to the arranged étage.Grenir. Small dependence with kitchen, room, mezzanine. More room of water, water-closets. non adjoining land with garage;  ideal house of vacations;  possibility to buy furnished some.

It's the Acme French Translator .............................remember Road-Runner............[:D]

Tip - I always dump stuff in to MS Word to check spelling and grammer (like is it an a or à which makes a big difference obviously) first. Most of the time when the PC Translator gets it terribly wrong it's because of either or both of these reasons. In the original post there were two spelling mistakes I could see which were Grenir and dependance which should have been Grenier and dépendance. Small errors but many translators will not get either of them right. There is a free 'bolt in' for MS Word that translates for you. It's probably one of the better ones and I have found and the translated text does not need so much changing around afterwards. A good test of  translation software is government websites because they are normally gramatically very good.

Hope that helps

Babelfish gives this:

Jolie petite maison , conviviale, comprenant cuisine, séjour, petite pièce. A l'étage: deux chambres à l'étage.Grenier aménagé. Petite dependence avec cuisine, chambre, mezzanine. Plus salle d'eau ,wc. terrain non attenant avec garage; idéal maison de vacances; possibilité d'acheter en meublé.

Pretty small house, convivial, including/understanding kitchen, stay,

small part. On the floor: two rooms with the arranged étage.Grenier.

Small dependence with kitchen, room, mezzanine. More water room,wc.

noncontiguous ground with garage; ideal house of holidays; possibility

of buying with of furnished.

Apart from the spelling mistakes, which Chris identified and I've corrected before translation, this is a very difficult text for a machine to translate, as there are several phrases which are 'shorthand'; for example 'séjour' is used in place of 'salle de séjour' so the bot gets it right, but it seems wrong in context. 'Plus salle d'eau' is non-grammatical and so gets a literal translation, which doesn't convey the intended meaning, especially as there is no direct English equivalent.  That said, I think the bot should have translated 'chambre' and 'maison de vacances' better.

You would be much better off using a dictionary, especially one which conjugates. I use Ultralingua on all my computers plus my PDA, it's pretty good.

Is 'possibilité d'acheter en meublé' correct, BTW?

[quote user="Quillan"]

... There is a free 'bolt in' for MS Word that translates for you. It's probably one of the better ones and I have found and the translated text does not need so much changing around afterwards....

[/quote]

There is?

I want one [:-))]

I've had a quick google and there seem to be several, which is the one that you use?

Just for a laugh, I put the original post through worldlingo after correcting a couple of typos and missing accents.  Here's what it gave:

Pretty small house, convivial, including/understanding kitchen, stay, small part. On the floor: two rooms on the floor. Arranged attic. Small dependence with kitchen, room, mezzanine. More water room, WC. noncontiguous ground with garage; ideal house of holidays; possibility of buying with of furnished.

Is that better than what the OP had? [:)]

A reminder:

Pretty small home, convivial, understanding kitchen, stay, small room.

On the floor: two rooms on the floor. Done up Grenir. Dependance baby

with kitchen, brings to room temperature, mezzanine. More room of

water, toilet. not annexed ground with garage; ideal home of vacation;

possibility of buying there furnished.

"Grenir" in the second one is due to a typo - "Dependance baby" perhaps, too.

I still think it comes back to the original being badly written.

For example I might correct it to this:

Petite, jolie maison, conviviale. Comprenant cuisine, salle de séjour et petite pièce. A la premier étage: deux chambres. Grenier aménagé. Petite dependence avec cuisine, chambre, mezzanine, plus salle d'eau, w.c.  Terrain non attenant avec garage. Idéal maison de vacances. Possibilité d'acheter meublé.

This gives (from Babelfish)

Small, pretty house, convivial. Including/understanding kitchen,

living room and small part. On the first floor: two rooms. Arranged

attic. Small dependence with kitchen, room, mezzanine, plus room of

water, w.c. Noncontiguous ground with garage. Ideal house of holidays.

Possibility of buying furnished.

I think you get a pretty clear idea from that, even though it is still obviously a robot translation.