Complete France Forum

Champs-Elysees declared a"Tourist St " for Sunday Trading

Frederick

I never thought of the Champs-Elysees specifically as a " tourist area " as such but now apparently it is for the right to open the shops on a Sunday ...So what next expect a Brico Depot to open along side the Peugeot show rooms ? I think for Sunday shopping a few more places will suddenly become "Tourist " areas of France where they may now only get half a dozen a year ...This rule will be bent .twisted knotted all ways to get the shop open by some traders .

The Avenue des Champs Elysées is one of the principal tourist destinations in France.

According to Wiki:

The avenue is also one of the most famous streets in the world for upscale shopping. Adidas, Benetton, the Disney Store, Nike, Zara, Cartier, Bel Air Fashion, continental Europe's largest Gap, and Sephora occupy major spaces.  Traditionally home to popular brands, as well as luxury brands (such as Louis Vuitton), the Avenue des Champs Elysées confirms its world-class appeal as a prime real estate location: it has lately seen the opening of new big upscale shops such as the biggest Adidas store in the world. Abercrombie & Fitch has received permission for a flagship store there, scheduled to open to the public in 2011

Stopping isn't a problem if you get your chauffeur to drop you off.....[;-)]

I was thinking the Tourist Area designation for Sunday opening was more to help the shop keepers who like the ones in coastal resorts open their shops at Easter then have to close them in October as the "Tourist " has gone back to places like Paris .Sunday trading when resorts are packed will obviously make a big difference to those who only make their money in summer ... It seems the posh shops in the Champs - Elysees find they can also benefit from the rules There are tourists all year round in Paris so perhaps the shops will open everwhere in time .