weed killer

londoneye

Yes, Sodium Chlorate is very cheap but thats because it ain't clever!

Good on paths, patios and gravel areas but rendering ground unviable for 6 months+

Really for the little difference in cost, glyphosate based herbicides are excellent and you can cultivate again very soon afterwards.

5 litres for 36 euros treating 16500m2 from Gamme Vert...

Ty

Ewa,

Contact via the Yellow pages a Paysagist or Entretien Espaces Verts or Travaux Agricole...

I used the latter as I am good friends with the local contractor and for the last job of 4 acres it cost my client 150euros and took 30min to mow down 4ft high weeds and grasses...

I have a sythe bought from Point Vert...

Alternatively there are plenty of muppetts at the local brit bars crying out for such work at 10euros cash per hour...

Ty

I've used Sodium chlorate on weeds in open ground and on weeds in gravel and have been less than impressed with the results: yes, it's cheap but it requires exactly the same amount of labour to apply it as glypho which is 10 times more effective.

Incidentally, I know it says you should apply it only when there is at least 6 hours befoe it's likely to get wet but I sprayed a patch of nettles and assorted MH's the other eveningm only to look up and see a thunder-head about to dump on us. I retreated indoors and sat out the deluge, bemoaning the wasted 1/2 a tank of mixture. Imagine my utter astonishment 4 days later when these weeds turned up their toes every bit as permanently as those treated in dry weather! The latest formulation must have a powerful wetting agent in it !

Ty

glyphosate sounds good to me.   However, i have a dog and a cat who are both deaf (or give impression of being so) and most definitely disobedient.    Do you know please how long i would have to keep them away from any area sprayed if i use glyphosate?    Both of them are inordinately fond of munching anything green (not that there will be much green left when i have finished  i hope!)

[quote user="Ty Korrigan"]Ewa,
 Contact via the Yellow pages a Paysagist or Entretien Espaces Verts or Travaux Agricole...
 I used the latter as I am good friends with the local contractor and for the last job of 4 acres it cost my client 150euros and took 30min to mow down 4ft high weeds and grasses...
I have a sythe bought from Point Vert...
Alternatively there are plenty of muppetts at the local brit bars crying out for such work at 10euros cash per hour...
   Ty
[/quote]

Ty

Thanks for your advice on both this and the efficacy of weedkiller.  I suppose I'll use up what I have, be disappointed and go out and buy what you suggest!

Hi IONDONEYE,

I had the same problem as you except ours is one and a half acres that hadnt be touched for at least 15 years and as Im sure your in the same boat as most of us "we also had to keep going with doing work on the building side of things,

But the answer is simple (we,ve done it this year so I know it works)

Now like you we are waiting to have a pool put in " we hope in sep/oct and the complete land was covered with not only brambles/weeds/ect but trees that had fallen branches and all needed sorting out,

I have one of the best rotovators ever made "Howard gem" the same as seen in the good life t.v. show, and at first I tried using howward to clear the area but because of so many young off shoots of trees trying to grow all over the place,

I found inspite of my diesel 3 forward and 1 backward geared " howard I was getting next to nowhere

So I h ired  my farmer nieghbour and within a couple of hours he,d turned the lot over roots and all, we had both big bon fires of brambles and found the complete area was so much larger than we ever thought it was now it,s cleared,

that was some 3 month ago and last week I spent the day with "howard"turning the now simple task of ground over.

Im still clearing the ground but at least I can do something ref the borders and plan the way we want the garden to look.

So the simple and quick way and easy on the eye way is to get a farmer to turn the lot over for you to at least be able to see the light of day.

and Im sure the cost would be in the cheaper region,

expect to pay around 100 euro.

good gardening.[;-)]

your place sounds very similar to ours but worse which makes me feel better in a certain unkind way!   we keep finding what's left of stone walls or old buildings under the brambles/fallen trees etc etc so havent even bothered spending money on lawn-mower or rotivator yet, as it would just be sitting there all shiny (or rusty probably).  Good idea about the farmer, probably cheaper than getting digger driver to level the whole lot when dug out for pool which is what we were also considering

thanks