Complete France Forum

Strange plant with cerise stem

Graye

We have a strange (to me anyway) plant growing in our garden here in the Dordogne.  I don't actually have a plant book to check but can find nothing from an initial look on the internet.  Can anyone give me a clue as to what it is please?

At the moment it's about three feet tall with four separate stems.  These are very a bright cerise colour and not at all woody.  In fact we have had a mild frost and three of the stems have obviously been affected and fallen.  The leaves are bright green but flimsy - about the size and shape of a laurel leaf but much more delicate.  There were hard black berries growing rather like bunches of tiny grapes too but these have either fallen off and blown away or been eaten by birds.

Assuming I have done things correctly there may be an image included, otherwise please send a message and I will forward a picture.

[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a192/MiriamOppenheim/DSCN0311a.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks

It looks like my American Pokeweed, here's some of ours at a more advanced stage !

I had quite an embarrassing thread about it when I was still only a beginner on here, now we all know how to post a photo !

Exotic weeds

It also grows well in woodland and is a great foodsource for birds, according to my RHS A-Z Encyclopaedia.  As Ab says, poisonous - causes stomach upsets for humans and livestock, so not for places where there are inquisitive small fingers.

I don't suppose either of you would care to send me some seed?  I rather like the look of it and would like to try it.

Pretty please? [kiss] [kiss] [kiss]

Well, there's a real "Autumn feel" to the Pokeweed (terrible photo, sorry!).  I'll have to get some seeds in and dry them out, then send you some if you email me your address Cassis.

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/lavande/Pic204.jpg[/IMG]

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, CA - I have to say I haven't been doing much outside here recently.  Gorgeous yesterday - clear and windless - but suddenly foggy today and much colder.  I must have a hunt in the seed drawer for those A. Major seeds - PM me an address if you still fancy some.

Archived