STIHL FS85 STRIMMER

chirpy

I HAVE HAD THIS FOR 3YEARS BUT IT STARTS AND ONLY RUNS FOR 5-10 MINUTES AND POSSIBLY GETS HOTTER THAN I REMEMBER WHEN USING LAST YEAR.

ANY IDEAS WHY IT IS STOPPING-COULD IT BE WORN MOTER WHICH IS STOPPING AFTER GETTING HOT??

THANKS.

The mix should be 2% Ab, always use a good oil...I've used Stihl 2stroke for years without ever having a problem.

You won't know what the problem is until a good engineer has checked it out. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter and cleaned the air filter? It might be gunk in the carb, a simple carb kit could solve the problem.

Don't use it again until you've consulted a pro.

Give the motor a full service (sounds like you've done most of it).  Blow out the engine cooling fins and plastic covers with an air line gun, remove covers to get full access.  Your user maual should tell you how  and what needs changing at a service and also on how to set up the carb (H/L/T) screws, assuming it as these.  Also check that the strimmer head it free and not seized.  Have you been keeping the head gear correctly greased?  Is the FS85 a pro or hobby machine?

ACTUALLY MODEL NO.IS FS80.I ASSUME THIS IS NOT AN  AMATEUR BUT A PRO MACHINE I GUESS LOOKING AT THE PRICE I PAID.

I GAVE MY DAUGHTER THE FS 85 I BOUGHT TO SHARE!

I HAVE FOUND THE GREASE SCREW DIFFICULT TO REMOVE THIS YEAR AND I WAS TOLD NOT TO PUT TOO MUCH GREASE IN AS I COULD PRESSURISE THE GEARS!

MANUAL IN FRENCH SO SLIGHTLY DIFFICULT TO READ BUT I HAVE ENGLISH MANUAL FOR FS55WHICH HELPS.

well Ab, just 'cos its difficult to do doesnt mean it doesnt need doing!  Get the head relubed before using again.  Does it start easy?  when it stops, will it restart?  This could be any number of problems. fuel or electric related, assuming you've done the stuff detailed in earlier postings.  Also, are you using new fuel?  Modern unleaded stuff soon goes off.  Did you run it to empty before you put it away for the winter?  If not, maybe the fuel has set in the carb and is blocking some important bit, who knows.   However, sort the basics first - full service and see how it performs, before ripping the motor apart.  If its still faulty then try to access whether its electric (sparks present?) or fuel related first.

Re the manuals, yes I know the french manuals are a pain but I think english versions are available via the american Stihl site, they are for chainsaws.  Just ignore all the cr*p warnings about  this manual is for US tools only etc etc, all a load of brown sticky stuff if you ask me, just 'cos its got different warning stickers on!

Ab,

I,m going to make a few assumptions here which may, or may not, be relevant or helpful even.

I assume that the fuel tank is "underslung" below and behind the motor (as most brushcutters seem to follow a basic pattern) and is semi-translucent plastic. Similarly I assume the fuel feed line is a clear plastic pipe coming out of the tank through a grommeted hole and goes to the carb via a priming "push button".

If I am right (or close), the fuel filter is likely to be a felt type thing on the weighted end of the fuel pipe in the tank.

As the motor starts ok (presumably after priming) and runs for a few mins I suspect the filter may be ok but you might have the same problem I had a few weeks ago, the plastic feed line to the priming button had a crack in it, fuel did not leak out but air leaked in, this led to a weak mixture and eventual fuel starvation after a few mins of running.

Replacement of that pipe solved the problem.

This may of course NOT be your problem but I suggest it should be checked.

Regards

[quote user="Ab"]

ACTUALLY MODEL NO.IS FS80.I ASSUME THIS IS NOT AN  AMATEUR BUT A PRO MACHINE I GUESS LOOKING AT THE PRICE I PAID.

I GAVE MY DAUGHTER THE FS 85 I BOUGHT TO SHARE!

I HAVE FOUND THE GREASE SCREW DIFFICULT TO REMOVE THIS YEAR AND I WAS TOLD NOT TO PUT TOO MUCH GREASE IN AS I COULD PRESSURISE THE GEARS!

MANUAL IN FRENCH SO SLIGHTLY DIFFICULT TO READ BUT I HAVE ENGLISH MANUAL FOR FS55WHICH HELPS.

[/quote]

the manual is available on line here from the Stihl American site, if that is any use

Danny

If it's of any assistance I had a similar pronblem with my FS 55 Strimmer. It refused to start and I tried everything in the book. Finally I gave it to my local Stihl agent who fixed it by blowing out and clearing the small intake pipe at the rear. I don't know whether your model has the same intake but it is less than 1/4 inch and is positioned at the rear of the machine?

Might be worth a try?

• 2 weeks later...

stihl dealer looked at it managed to start with difficulty and said may be age(only 5 years old)and said not worth spending money on it!!

took it home and read the manual and found spark arrester slide not on-perhaps dropped off .

would this give non starting??

I think I'd be a bit miffed if I were told that my chin saw was knackered after only 5 years!  Fair enough if you're using it every day for your job pehaps but I'm guessing that this is for the annual log chopping fest for the winter.  I always thought Stihl were a quality manufacturer?  I have a no-name chainsaw (but it might be a re-branded Stihl ?) and has been faultless for the past 8 years.

I have no idea what a spark arrester slide is - sorry