Lost Sky signal

We have just moved house and have been trying to set up our Sky satellite dish again. We get perfect Signal Strength and almost perfect Signal Quality on the Signal Test screen, and the Lock Indicator says OK, but this only lasts for a few seconds and then disappears. If we try to get a channel it (not suprisingly) says no satellite signal is being received. We have used a satellite finder meter and get a good strength of signal off that.

Can anyone suggest why we can't get the signal to hold and lock in?

Few ideas.

Possible the dish mounting is not quite rigid enough and after you line up it in springs back moving you off signal.

You are not waiting long enough between moving the dish - you need to count to 20 at least between moves.

You have not set the skew at a guess posotion, of say 7 o clock before starting.

You do not have the clamps quite tight enough and the it droops marginally after you have positioned the dish 

What Network ID ? unless it is 0002 you are aimed at the wrong satellite

What transport signal id does it show. Unless it is 07d4 you are aimed at the wrong satellite

I normally have sound settings background music on and sometimes here that before anything else.

Check the alighment with a compass. If it is poiting at  by compass 29 E then the arms needs to be 10 degrees or so further round and you have founs Astra 1 not Astra 2

Ideas only no miracle cures - Best of luck.

What Network ID ? unless it is 0002 you are aimed at the wrong satellite

What transport signal id does it show. Unless it is 07d4 you are aimed at the wrong satellite

You were absolutely right - although I had done some more searching after posting my question and found the same information on a site for Caravans/Mobile homes. We were on the wrong satellite - well OH was, I was just shouting up the ladder what I could see on the screen[:)].

Many thanks for your prompt reply (as always).

• 1 year later...
We are having the exact same problem as the OP, and as his posting was originally dated 2008 I just want to check if anything has changed since then that would affect us getting the signal?

We are using the meter which says its a perfect signal, but still unable to get TV.