This is what dog rescue is all about!

Chrissie, I'm sorry you lost your dogs, must be even harder so close to each other.  They give us so much joy but so much sorrow too.

We've also got 3 rescues although only one had any 'baggage', he was 5 when he came to us, the other two were just pups at 11 and 12 weeks.  Their ages now are 13, 7, nearly 2.  People do seem to forget that there are puppies in rescue too.  We've just had 9 pups born to a greyhound a week after she came into rescue, luckily these pups will never see a racetrack.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

We added a new member to our family last week. We adopted Valentin after the poor little man had spent 2 years at the refuge and I can't believe what a little treasure he is.  He is clean in the house, obedient and just adores cuddles.  My other 2 girls have taken to him well although we have the occasional spat.  It just breaks my heart to see all these poor animals abandonned and I have so much admiration for Christine and people like her who devote their time rescuing them and trying to find them a loving home. I would like to mention the refuge where we got Valentin.  'Au Bonheur des 4 Pattes' in Nîmes.  Anyone in the region thinking of adopting, please go along and have a look or have a browse at the website http://au-bonheur-des-4-pat.naturalforum.net/index.htm

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z98/mimibarthez/Vally2.jpg[/IMG] 

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z98/mimibarthez/IMAG0006.jpg[/IMG]

Mimi

Just fancy him being there for two years, how lucky you came along Mimi, he looks so happy with you and isn't he sweet.  Another lucky one, well done !

Thank you for the link to the site, I'll have a good look at that.

[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/Bechamel/animal.jpg[/IMG]                            [IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/Bechamel/AnimalAid-1.jpg[/IMG] 

[quote user="WJT"]

That is very sad Avinalarf. [:(] With the rescue centres here being overwhelmed and how some of these dogs are treated prior to arriving, I am not surprised. I am sure many of these dogs would need much patience, kindness and assurance from any new owner and of course thought into the breed etc.. 

I am sure for the rescue centres that are well funded, screening of the dogs as well as the person adopting can be provided. However, perhaps for many here it appears to be such a desperate situation in that it is a matter of just saving the poor dogs life and hope that it has found a good home. [:(]

Your post has certainly not put me off, when the time comes, I will be getting my dog from a French rescue centre.

[/quote]

I know the situation is desperate but its neither good for the dog nor the new owners if they are suited to each other.  I think homechecking is necessary, it certainly reduces the number of dogs 'bouncing' and you can understand how potential adopters get put off if a situation such as Avinalarf's arises.  Its all very well falling in love with a cute picture on the internet but the dog needs to be compatable with the lifestyle and situation of the potential adopters and likewise the adopters with the temperament of the dog, can avoid lots of tears and heartache.

I was going to set up a forum for purely for volunteers in France to volunteer for homechecking, fostering, transporting etc but it seems that there are several French rescue forums so this is unnecessary, the forum is still there but unfinished.

[quote user="Nettie"][quote user="WJT"]

That is very sad Avinalarf. [:(] With the rescue centres here being overwhelmed and how some of these dogs are treated prior to arriving, I am not surprised. I am sure many of these dogs would need much patience, kindness and assurance from any new owner and of course thought into the breed etc.. 

I am sure for the rescue centres that are well funded, screening of the dogs as well as the person adopting can be provided. However, perhaps for many here it appears to be such a desperate situation in that it is a matter of just saving the poor dogs life and hope that it has found a good home. [:(]

Your post has certainly not put me off, when the time comes, I will be getting my dog from a French rescue centre.

[/quote]

I know the situation is desperate but its neither good for the dog nor the new owners if they are suited to each other.  I think homechecking is necessary, it certainly reduces the number of dogs 'bouncing' and you can understand how potential adopters get put off if a situation such as Avinalarf's arises.  Its all very well falling in love with a cute picture on the internet but the dog needs to be compatable with the lifestyle and situation of the potential adopters and likewise the adopters with the temperament of the dog, can avoid lots of tears and heartache.

I was going to set up a forum for purely for volunteers in France to volunteer for homechecking, fostering, transporting etc but it seems that there are several French rescue forums so this is unnecessary, the forum is still there but unfinished.

[/quote]

I agree with your comments Nettie but can also understand if it isn't possible in France because of the desperate situation, overcrowding and lack of funds. It is very sad to hear of a situation where there is not a good match and particularly if it involves a distressed dog. 

However, The same could be said when people buy dogs.  There is an elderly lady that lives near me here in the UK that I met while walking my dog. She recently lost her husband and wanted a dog. She saw a lady with a little Jack Russel puppy and told her that she thought it was very cute and was the perfect size for her.  The lady put her in touch with the breeder and she took one of the other puppies.

She adores it but is now looking for a new home for her because she can't handle her and exercise her like she needs, she is very very hyper. It was a very bad match for an elderly lady to take on such an energetic puppy. She is very kind but gave no thought at all of the dogs needs prior to buying her and apparently the breeder involved didn't either.  So to my mind it is not only a problem when someone takes on a rescue dog, in fact I would imagine it happens quite frequently with breeders.

Mimi, what a wonderful thing you have done. It is just incredible to think that poor Valentine was in kennels for two years. He must be so happy to have such a wonderful family.

P.S. I love Christine's message "Don't breed or buy while homeless die". I don't want to insult anyone here because I did it nine years ago in complete ignorance. But how anyone that looks in on these forums and lives in France could breed or buy a dog with so many wonderful dogs desperately needing homes is beyond me.  Mimi and Valentine is a perfect example of the many just on this forum alone.