Why do you stay in France?

Rose

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL Beryl, you have got us all posting.

I've said this before, but when I found this board, probably in 2000 or 2001 what a shock I got. Rose coloured specs wasn't in it. And could I resist but post, well I just couldn't. What a hammering I got, from I suppose, all these 'happy' people, who should not be shown glimses of the dark side of France. There was so much nonsense being posted then and I am glad, and I mean glad that I posted.

I was even more glad to see more sensible posters arrive as even in the dim past there was the odd one. And some people 'get' France quite quickly, it isn't a matter of time served, it is I suppose how interested people are in where they live. AND I would suppose that that would go hand in glove with parlez-vous'ing too.

LG, ofcourse people Tchatche Tchat with 'us'. Everyone talks to me and I listen as I am inquisitive and interested and sounds like you are too. Ah what we hear eh! and, what I can't post as it would upset the sensibilites of too many people. [6]

Beryl, you're making TU, LG, and me sound like the 3 witches from Macbeth!  [:)]

But LG makes a good point about the level of integration.  The better integrated you are, the better position you are in to judge like for like.  If people feel you're "one of them" you can hear things about France that would make your hair curl!  [:)]   In many areas of life you'll find that the two countries aren't so very different after all.   And sometimes France even comes off worse!     

But of course, it depends on what interests you.   I will never be able to "do" the wine thing, even after all these years I haven't developed a palate for what's good and what's not (apart from the extremely bad!).    And yes, the food is good, but the obsession with it gets a bit lourd.   You can't eat that, you shouldn't eat at that time, c'est pas normal........ but I don't give in, and I still have Marmite on my crepes, and the world hasn't stopped turning because of it!  [:)]

Was I offended by Logan's comment about lazy minds?   No, because this is the internet, and you learn to expect these things.   But I do think that it is a smug cliché.   The more active your mind, the more likely you are to get bored if there's a lack of input!    Lazy minds can get by on very little.  [;-)]   

I have read and re-read through this thread and can find nothing new from when it was last argued over, hasn't this subject just about been 'done' to death now? Perceived insult on top of perceived insult, lots of PM's so that anyone wanting to join in cannot because he/she feels left out of the insider info.

best regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]

PS they are just talking on the 'news' about holding hands being a great stress relief, maybe we should all do that!

[quote user="Dago"]I have read and re-read through this thread and can find nothing new from when it was last argued over, hasn't this subject just about been 'done' to death now? [/quote]

That's the joy of the internet!   It's like life, really, it keeps repeating itself.  

[quote user="RumziGal"]

[quote user="Dago"]I have read and re-read through this thread and can find nothing new from when it was last argued over, hasn't this subject just about been 'done' to death now? [/quote]

That's the joy of the internet!   It's like life, really, it keeps repeating itself.  

[/quote]

There is not a lot of joy to be found in many of the posts here at the moment and if you have a life that keeps repeating itself then maybe you should try to step outside of it and take a different direction.

best regards

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/Dago3.jpg[/IMG]

I think that they (the sunflowers) end up bowing their heads in sorrow at the setting of the sun.

Durr, I have, I've got a job in England!  [:)]

Sorry if it upsets you, Dago, but life as a suburban housewife is NOT exciting, anywhere!    It's not a mad whirl of sociable meals and tales of hunting derring-do with jolly peasant farmers.  Young people go to nightclubs.  Older people work (if they can) to pay their mortgages, taxe d'hab, taxe foncière, and to buy flat-screen TVs.  It may not match your image of la France Profonde, but it's the way it is.  I live in the French equivalent of Chandler's Ford, for any of you who know that area.  [:-))]  

Now, about these sunflowers, a quick Google search would have told you that yes, sunflowers do return to their original position when it gets dark.  [;-)]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower

This kind of discussion must go on in a lot of ex-pat forums all over the world..I think its a case of "Do want you wanna do...be want you wanna be....yerrrrrrrrrrrrrr.[:)] Life is what you make it.Either join in and except it or just stay out on the fringes and look in.I think it up to the individual  how they see their own way of life and how they run it and how they interpret it.They must be left to see life as they see it.They have their own world and they must live in it......I rest my case !!!!

It seems that a lot of the people who say they are bored only look at the range of things that they could do that would benefit themselves.  The only people (imho) who can genuinely complain about boredom are those who are too sick, frail, elderly or disabled to change their circumstances.

If you are bored - get off your backside and find something to do.

On the other hand if you are trapped in France by financial hardship, family relationships etc then that is a whole other ball game.  But (imho) the two scenarios are worlds apart.

Kathie

You know, this is really bringing out the worst in everyone!   I only said I was bored in France, and suddenly everyone's leaping on me with scorn and smugness and anger!    Quite funny really.  [:)]

I'm not a troll, but your responses have said a lot about you.  [+o(]    

Blimey, you lot have been busy. My comment was not in anyway designed or intended to insult or make personal attacks. I simply wanted to explore the subject of boredom in relation to life in rural France. I think that's valid and if the use of "cliche"is a lazy way of illustration, please forgive. I should perhaps have asked more personal questions such as........er..... please explain why you are bored. Or does your boredom have any relationship to life in France particulary, or did you become bored in the other places you lived. I think that is an interesting subject for discussion or am I in danger of being boring? I suspect that boredom is an emotional symptom to a greater malaise, perhaps an inner discontent unrelated to the place where you live. However the place gets the blame, more acceptable perhaps than deeper considerations. I personally am interested in the subject of boredom because a close member of my family is constantly bored. I am almost never bored. It may be because I fit SB's idea of having a small mind. However I really love life and relish every moment. Boredom is a mystery to me.

What's wrong with feeling bored? It's only one of many human emotions. It doesn't matter how many clubs you belong to, how many committees you sit on, how drunk you get or how many pills you take, people sometimes get bored. Even in France. We are not robots.

I am sure there are plenty of less boring things to do than use this forum.

Dago just skip my posts and anyone else's you don't want to read. You more or less know what you will get from me.

In your case Jon, I always thought that you 'made it', always sounded to me like you were an overpaid yuppie who became disenchanted and as they gave you lots of lucca to leave, you had a full change. People are often way off mark about me,  so if I'm way off mark , then I'm sure you'll put me right.

Beryl,  the 'happy' crowd, I would suppose that they watch brit tv and get the papers. Would they be au fait with all things brit, like the UK snow, and hand holding and letter bombs. Because if they are, why would they have to have brain shut down on things french. Why shouldn't all the banalaties and the important things like the presidentielles, immigration, how french schools work not be of at least passing interest too. Even the health services current state........And you have made me think that you may be right anyway about far too many people, and  'living'  France doesn't have much or any interest.  Otherwise why would we have had posts from some of those gite owners running businesses who have, a to use Stephen Fry's words, general ignorance about some aspects of their business. LOL and there are retirees who aren't with it either.

Happiness is not the exclusive domain of those who don't really know what is going on. Beryl you made it sound like jolly naieve innocence........ adults doing that? Keep me away from them, ah yes, I am,  a long long way away from them.