slightly confused.

jon

It seems to me that you're subject to market forces, whatever you think is a good deal.  Thus you will advertise the job for the rate you can afford to pay, and if somebody satisfactory is willing to take the wage you offer, you'll get what you want.

If you can't get the right person within your budget, then why not make a one-off deal with a decent hard working properly qualified and experienced gardener and get them to make your place as easy to look after as possible?  Then you or a less qualified and thus cheaper person, can do easy maintenance in the future.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting a bit sucked into this 'jon' character,  I've started to look for her (not his) postings now [:-))] its like a mini 'soap opera' twists and turns with every posting. 

I do agree with Panda about your posts, I too find them very hard to follow and am left felling 'what was all that about'.

[quote user="Panda"]Hi Jon

So let's chat, I am genuinely interested in what your plans are.  I find your postings a little odd and I think others do too, you write very differently to most other people on here.  You seem to tail off at the end of sentences or make some dramatic statement which has nothing to do with the subject in question and leave it hanging, I think it's this that baits people (me included) to sometimes have a dig, I don't think it's malicious at all.

Panda[/quote]

That aside I do have some advice for jon re her quest for a gardener to have a look at this site http://www.genius-laposte.fr/ This is a new facility from La Poste which is aimed at finding domestic help and paying for it with the cheque emploi system. You can either subscribe for 1 year and request as many contacts as you want for €35 or  €15 per enquiry. You can get cleaners, gardeners, people to babysit, shopping, do the ironing all sorts of help, note that this is only available to private homes, but might suit you until you actually start your business. You phone up with your request and they will guarantee to contact you within 36-48 hour with people from your area with whom you deal with direct and pay them with the cheque.

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

I'm getting a bit sucked into this 'jon' character,  I've started to look for her (not his) postings now [:-))] its like a mini 'soap opera' twists and turns with every posting. 

[/quote]

ha - you too!

(Jacqui - it's 1 in the morning and i've had a few, but....there's summat wrong with your avatar. I mean, I don't know how to put this, but, well, I think it's the legs - they're not quite right are they?)

Taking the Brit community in isolation - there are those that are registered and provide a service, inevitably to other Brits who in the main, have a 'rose tinted' view of what they should be charged for a service in France. This 'confusion' is made worse when the Brits find out that some large percentage (50%?) of French work for SMIC which is about 1250 euros a month and hotels, B&B's and restaurants are significantly cheaper than in the UK.

So how does it work in France? on the face of it, there seems to be a lot of prosperity. Who has the money to keep so many Artisans so busy? Why do gardeners on the black sometimes charge more than registered gardeners but manage to convince holiday home owners they're getting a good deal because they're not paying TVA or tax???

Confused as well.

me again - I charge what I think is a fair rate - 22€/hr + TVA - I have heard of a local guy charging 7€ an hour + fuel costs - When i get proof I will shop him and his customers. There are so called 'builders' who are registered with MSA with a siret etc (MSA is the society you have to belong to if you cut grass) as the insurance costs are cheaper for grass cutters than builders. Everyone does the occasional cash job and you actually pay for an organisation to keep an eye on everyones profits and if your differ from the rest by a significant amount, you get checked - this is not an option! If you employ anyone, check them out properly, ask for insurance proof, even if they just cut your grass - they might put the machine in the pool......

Steve

[quote user="raindog"]

but....there's summat wrong with your avatar. I mean, I don't know how to put this, but, well, I think it's the legs - they're not quite right are they?)
[/quote]

This is my little dog Milly, she loves to 'beg' she does it all the time and not for food!

This photo was taken after she had had her dew claws removed at the vets and the red is the bandages and the white is the tape to hold them on. We thought they looked like boxing gloves!

I first posted this pic on the pets thread but thought it might make an interesting avatar

Where's jon today I really missed her!![Www]

I think it may depend on where you were living in the UK.

We lived in Devon and the cost of living was high but wages were terrible.

A skilled tradesman, Electrician, Plumber etc would only be charging £15 an hour & that was only a couple of years ago.

I had a so called "good job" as an office manager & was earning £14,000 a year and that was a good salary... believe me!

However, I suspect that if you lived near to London, you wouldn't get out of bed for less than £25 an hour at that time.

So everyone who has posted on this subject is probably correct as far as their experience goes.

Here in France, I have a small pension & therefore if I could do a few hours a week and earn 15 euros an hour, I would be very happy. If however, I was in my thirties with a wife & couple of kids to feed & clothe, I would be hard pushed to buy the groceries on that amount of money.

So, we all have to ask for and pay what we can afford and it's always going to be different for everyone.

I would just like to say good luck to you all and I hope you can have a happy and contented life.

Jon, it really isn't that easy to make a half decent living if you're legit and don't want to work silly hours to get by. The successful ones seem to be those who have good financial discipline, low outgoings, marketable skills and the tenacity to keep going and not get dogged down by the admin

By the way, I reckon you've handled this wee forum scrap pretty well, I'm impressed!

Yes everyone not easy.

Not easy for those of you who earn 25 Euros an hour or for those who earn 8/9 euros an hour.

However maybe more pleasant than filling the shelves in Sainsbury....

Much more is achieieved by feeding the neighbours cat yorkshire pudding[with the trimmongs]

Leo.....send the police!

This is a Forum not a court of law .

Sorry that you can not follow...meant to be light hearted. or perhaps is..turning you all away from your anrgy mode relating to hourly rates.

By the way plomier.....I think that you have plenty of work and know exactly what to charge[hope so anyway]

[quote user="jon"]

Sorry that you can not follow...meant to be light hearted. or perhaps is..turning you all away from your anrgy mode relating to hourly rates.

By the way plomier.....I think that you have plenty of work and know exactly what to charge[hope so anyway]

[/quote]

Jon sorry but... what?  [:-))] [8-)]

now...you see how rules can spoil a little harmeless fun.

Perhaps the moderators should come out when the bullies are active.......not when there is "poetry in motion".......after all [on this occasion]only changing my own titles.

By the way the "gardener" came to see me yesterday...and we planned to work together.He enjoyed an exspresso with some langue de chat and seemed very happy  with the idea of working in the garden.

He was given a tour of the house[having asked about the progress of the renervation]when he returned he gave me the thumbs up...we had a chat then he was on his way in the rain to seek refuge in front of the    T.V.

The neighbours cat will soon arrive for his breakfast.....I call him "Grissle "because he is always moaning for food and he is a tabby type......

[quote user="jon"]

He enjoyed an exspresso with some langue de chat

[/quote]

round here a "langue de chat" is a small, narrow builder's trowel used for pointing up stone work.

Nice to see you give the mods a bit of stick jon.

You're really getting the hang of this forum thing aren't you? [:D]

Who changed the title this time?

A nice thought for the week-end....which I will share with you all.

Went upstairs to see the builders yesterday lunchtime.Grissle, the neighbours cat was fast asleep after enjoying an early lunch.

They were sat at a table with plates of food, cutlery.....and a caraf of wine......and I thought...how civerlised and how organised....that perhaps is a good reason to be here in France!