New Vs Old Properties

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I missed something not looking in as often over the past weeks. However, I still don't understand the major concern of a few of the posters here. If you are so worried that the magazine will print something you say and feel very protective of your words, perhaps you shouldn't join in on a magazine owned and funded free forum. I for one would not mind in fact would be flattered.  I am also grateful for the forum and enjoy it as well as the magazines.

We are talking about a few very small French interest magazines that doesn't have a circulation of millions and the funding and resources of the likes of say Newsweek or Times magazine. [blink]  In fact, I suspect that most here are the ones that support these magazines. I don't get it, but each to their own. For example, I have many worries at the moment that the Macon seems to think I shouldn't have. [:)]

[quote user="Forum Admin"]There is a new build supplement in the most recent issue of LF (already printed!), coming out early next week...the thread is just a place to 'have your say' about new v old.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification.

By submitting your

contribution for publication you agree to grant Archant a perpetual and

royalty-free licence to use, in any form or way whatsoever, that

contribution worldwide in any form of media. Anyone who does not feel

prepared to submit material on this basis should not submit material.

I wrote: "When people stop me in the street and ask my opinions on something, I suspect something fishy and then walk on with my mouth shut!"

Oh dear! I didn't want to upset anyone. That's the problem with non-verbal non-visual communication. The complainants didn't see my grin, raised eyebrow etc. Maybe it's time for an old duffer to learn these emoticon thingies.

It was lighthearted comment which I thought might lead someone from admin letting us know why they were asking. Surely not an unreasonable thing.

[quote user="Nearly Retired"]

I wrote: "When people stop me in the street and ask my opinions on something, I suspect something fishy and then walk on with my mouth shut!"

Oh dear! I didn't want to upset anyone. That's the problem with non-verbal non-visual communication. The complainants didn't see my grin, raised eyebrow etc. Maybe it's time for an old duffer to learn these emoticon thingies.

It was lighthearted comment which I thought might lead someone from admin letting us know why they were asking. Surely not an unreasonable thing.

[/quote]

Aaaahh, I see.

Your previous comment sounded very "Ba Humbug", but you've now redeemed yourself [:)][:D][:P][8-|][B][:-))][8-)][;-)][blink]

[quote user="Nearly Retired"]Oh dear! I didn't want to upset anyone. That's the problem with non-verbal non-visual communication. The complainants didn't see my grin, raised eyebrow etc. Maybe it's time for an old duffer to learn these emoticon thingies.[/quote]

Ooops! You certainly didn't upset me, so sorry if I gave that impression. The emoticons are quite handy, sometimes though!

WJT, no problemo.[:D]

[quote user="Cjlaws"]By submitting your contribution for publication you agree to grant Archant a perpetual and royalty-free licence to use, in any form or way whatsoever, that contribution worldwide in any form of media. Anyone who does not feel prepared to submit material on this basis should not submit material.[/quote]

Thanks. Looks like the motives for this thread were as expected so I was right not to post.

Ian

Edit; Please can you adjust the font size you post in Ian ?

From Russethouse

Ian, Did you read forum admins comment ?

>>

There is a new build supplement in the most recent issue of LF (already printed!), coming out early next week...the thread is just a place to 'have your say' about new v old.

Hope this helps.<<<<

If you thought it was for research for something upcoming I am afraid you are mistaken. The issue is printed already.

I can't quite see what the problem is in contributing by submitting you opinion. After all "Living France" provides us with this Forum and surely they are entitled to some "benefit"! To be able to use the Forum of the most popular Motor Caravan Magazin you have to buy the Magazin in order to know the Code (it changes every month) to access the Forum!

I agree Monika.  What are we having this silly dispute about?  Again?  If we do not wish to post on a subject, we are not obliged to do so.  It has been made clear by admin' that this thread was to get feedback.  If it's used in the mag' at a later date, then that would not be unexpected as the t&c's state that this may happen. Is it absolutely necessary to continue to pick at old scabs.  In other places I am certain that a great laugh is being had at our expense.

CAN WE GET BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE?[:-))]

I am also with Cooperlola, Monika and Renaud.

Quite honestly if Forum Admin want to make an article out of this topic they have not got a lot to work with!

Three pages of the majority saying they mostly like the old properties,  a few saying they like new builds and  one or two people who are looking to pick a fight with Admin.![Www]

Hi everyone,

Newcomer, Rich here.

...as ancient as possible. If I had my way (and if I had the cash) I'd buy a medieval castle complete with draughts and all. At the moment am living in a 200 year old house near Cruseilles (Annecy area).

Rich

I had a job where I lived in quite a few different houses incuding a listed building with drawings of Elizabeth 1s visit on the wall and a 16th century cottage. The one thing that is important to me is the amount of daylight. That cottage was the stuff of chocolate boxes, but it was as dingy as could be inside and that can be depressing.......

Good point RH.

Our cottage in UK has typically small windows and faces East so can be very bright first thing in the morning but then get quite gloomy as the day wears on.

In contrast our French house faces SSW and with largish windows is bright and airy all day long, even on dull days.

I've only once lived in a brand-new house (for less than a year) and hated it. It was a dormer bungalow on an estate in Britain and was like living in a featureless box. My preference is for old, but with modern comforts.  Granted - renovation never seems to end, but all houses need maintenance and many houses built in the past 30-40 years aren't particularly well-built and will become more and more expensive to maintain over the years.

Our cottage in Normandy was damaged during the war and partly rebuilt, and we've had to do some fairly thorough renovation since we bought it 4 years ago.  But it has beams and character and space, without being too big and we love it! [:D]

Kathy

Anyone out there who suffers from SAD is only going to make it worse in a dingy cottage however attractive in other ways, unless you convert one room into a sort of light box with lots of real and artificial light.