Complete France Forum

Notaire fees

We have recently bought a house in France (3 months ago). Due to a currant tax  investigation I have been unable to transfer money and pay the notaire fees. We have been paying the mortgage for the last 3 months. Now the notaire has given us a deadline to pay the fees by next week, The money will not be available until the end of the month.

Can they take the house away FROM US??????????

Did the tax investigatin start recently, after you committed to buy the house?  If so, I'm guessing that you could inform the tax authorities that if you have to pay any charges as a result of being unable to fulfil a contractual obligation that you entered into, then you will be seeking reimbursement from them.  However, I guess this depends on whether you feel you are on 'solid ground' with the taxman or whether he has anything on you!¬!!  If you have an entirely clean conscience with regard to tax affairs in the UK then it might be worth a try!

I may be missing something here but normally the Notaires fees are payable at the time of the signing of the documents.  Seemingly there is a mortgage in being here in France but the Notaire still has not been paid and for the Notaire read the French Government.

Obviously I am totally misreading the posting for I cannot see you can just walk away from the signing without paying all of the fees?

Archived