Complete France Forum

Where to pay income tax

Val50

For the last 3 years we have lived in France, my husband is employed here and pays income tax etc. I am now going to start working in UK, approx. 30 hours a week. As France will remain my country of residence, is it possible to arrange to pay income tax in France as opposed to UK, and if so how do I arrange this? Do I just contact the local UK tax office (I will be working in Portsmouth) or do I speak to our local one here in Manche?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Val

If you spend more than half of the tax year in Britain, you will be liable to pay tax there on all income earned in Britain - in fact you don't even have to be there for that long to be liable for tax, but that's where you need to talk to an accountant or the Inland Revenue (who are very helpful). You can be tax resident in both countries, that can work to your advantage thanks to dual taxation agreements. As your other half is liable to French tax you will still be required to declare your UK income in France as part of your household income, but put it in the box for 'income already taxed in another country'.

Archived