Complete France Forum

Cheques and General Proof of Identity

Jon 1

I find it too cumbersome and eventually damaging to your passport to carry it around all the time.

An IDP would be a suitable alternative but it expires after 12 months.  Would it be acceptable as proof of identity beyond the 12 months?

What do you do re the gendarmes' request for papers and for cashing cheques?

Would it be better to apply for the now defunct CdS to cover both the above requirements?

If so can I insist it be issued even though it is no longer required?

Jon

I have only once seen a notice around here saying that cheques not accepted. Otherwise no-one asks for proof of identity when paying by cheque. It always amazes me that they are so trusting, after all the security around cheque books in UK and having had mine stolen there together with the card and the thief spending about £2000.  We do carry with us the card part of our driving licences as proof of identity. Pat.

Thanks to all who replied.

What is the cost, if any, for a titre d'sejour, and what documentation do I require?

Would an International driving licence with photograph be acceptable for the gendarmes and the check outs, instead of passport?

I would say that an ordinary driving licence is quite sufficient ID for most things, well the european format with a photo would, rather than an international one really.  

Titre de sejours are now free. I would check with your local Prefecture as to what paperwork they wanted to issue one.

Archived