Jump to content
Complete France Forum

who gets the tax ?


Recommended Posts

Everywhere I turn I seem to find conflicting advice on this subject:

If I am a UK resident with a maison secondaire here in France, when I sell it I expect to make a smallish capital gain. As a UK taxpayer, I would expect to declare it on my UK tax return, yet I have seen replies from people on other forums and in various publications implying that there is a French tax liability as well. Is this in addition to the UK CG? If so, what happened to the 'no dual taxation' principle?



Link to comment
Share on other sites

If there is a taxable gain, the notaire will automatically deduct any tax payable from the proceeds. You then declare the profit on your UK return. If there is a UK liability then the amount you have already paid in France is deducted reducing the amount payable.

This calculator works out the French liability for a French resident at 27%.


So you will need to reduce to the UK residents rate of 16% ( No social charges to pay!)

If you have a gain of say 10000 euros you could have zero liability in the UK because of the £8500 exemption, but still be left with a French charge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...