Complete France Forum

Keep it in la famille now and for ever

Clair

I'd been reading that myself...

I've criticised that writer's interpretation of French matters before, but this time she seems to have the facts more or less right, even if she has taken three pages of web site to say nothing that anybody who reads this forum couldn't sum up in 50 words or fewer. The title sounded as if there might be a solution offered to the French inheritance question, but the article merely outlines the status quo.

My main comments would be that I am surprised she seems to have overlooked the SCI which, admittedly, only really works inheritance-wise if you are not formally resident in France (as her example couple were intending to split their time between France and England it could be applicable to them); and that her inteprtation of the adoption rules seems to be in line with what I thought, though there has been a discussion on another forum that suggests it is in fact possible for British couples to adopt step-children and thus provide a line of succession (although from what has been said over there they are still liable to 60% inheritance tax on their portion).

Archived