Complete France Forum

Minimum Age To Buy A House In France.

Not sure of age because often 18 is not recognised here but 21 is. A notaire would confirm it for you. Buying a house for cash - well I would be very careful there because huge amounts of cash over a certain limit will incurr some investigation at some time as to where the money has come from. Just a warning because you cannot buy a car here for cash as the garages have to notify the fisc of amounts over equal to £3k

Thanks Val_2,

My son who is 17yrs is interested in a house that is less than 15000€. You can guess the condition of the house by the price and is keen to get his teeth into a project. The way house prices are in the UK, he has been looking in France.

We are seeing our notaire next week, I will take your advice and ask him.

Regards,

Its just that the french government have really tightened up on cash amounts these days due to money laundering so as long as you can proove where the money has come from and how,it should be fine. 17 is not an adult here as you are officially still under charge of the parents and 18 is when the child benefit actually stops.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We bought a house for our son when he was ten, under the French 'donation' scheme, which can include property.

We ran the house as a very successful gite in Brittany, near Dinan, taking out UK mortgage to pay for it. In seven years, it has more than paid for itself (using the bank's money). Decided to put it on the market this summer (even turning down Sept, Oct and Xmas bookings!), as son will need a flat for when he goes to college next year (and will be 18). There will be some CGT to pay in France, as he has owned for less than the 15 year ownership rule, and no doubt some here, though  UK CGT now 18%, and you don't pay twice, we should only have to pay the difference

Talk to a good notaire - it's free until they actually do something.

Archived