Complete France Forum

Large Bill?

Robert Le Macon

Good morning all,

A Query about local impots.

I'm currently in the process of renovating a house in a small hamlet. This is an ongoing project, started in 2000 and not yet complete. When I eventually finish (this is subjective of course as there is always something else to do) do I have to notify the mairie etc so my taxe d'habitation can be readjusted and do I also get a large tax bill from the commune to celebrate the completion? I seem to remember reading on the forum somewhere that a 'completion tax' exists.

I am in Brittany near to Combourg if this makes any difference.

Regards,  

Did you submit a Permis de Construire back in 2000?

If you did, there would have been a time limit for completion of the work. The Hotel des Impots automatically send out an 'H1 Impots Locaux' form for completion and that then generates any re-rating that may apply.

If you didn't ................ then you may have a problem in terms of the necessary permission, but someone else will have a better understanding of the possible implications. It undoubtedly depends on what you've done, i.e. whether a long term 'doing up' job, or major re-building / extension work.  

Thanks for the reply.

We obtained all the relevant permissions when we bought the house, submitting plans etc. We currently pay all the local taxes as required.I  made the assumption that I tell the tax people when i've finished so my tax d'habitation can be adjusted. I currently complete the annual tax form stating that the house is not finished.(Who decides what 'finished is? Electrics/plumbing stud walls complete. Flooring/doors/plastering & finishing bits still to do)

This is a 'long term doing up job'as opposed to a re-build.

It seems odd that the centre d'impots has not been in touch to check whether you have completed work on schedule with the original planning permission terms - work is supposed to be begun and completed within  a certain length of time of the original granting of permission.  I would contact the Mairie (where you submitted the original request) to check the situation.  If you've got electicity and water then the work is regarded as complete (I think - somebody tell me I'm wrong).

Phil

Robert ........

I reckon that your assumption is correct, but best bet might be to go (sooner or later) to your local Hotel des Impots and tell them exactly where you are, in terms of the works.

If there's a form to complete (which there will be), they'll give it to you. I suspect that whenever you say it's finished, that'll be good enough. They've probably got bigger fish to fry.

In my experience, tax people are much-maligned, whether here or in the UK: as has been said here many times before, be open with them, and they'll actually help.

p.s. I have never worked for the Inland Rev !!!!

Archived