Complete France Forum

Taxe d'Habitation

Cassis

We've just celebrated the end of our second year here in France (August

1st).  Do you think we should have had a demand for Taxe d'Habitation by

now? 

We paid our first Taxe Foncière earlier this year - about June, I think - when we got a threatening letter from the Trésor; when I asked them if the TdH was also overdue (we had never received a request for either until we got the menacing letter about the TF) they said there was no record of any amount outstanding on their computer.

We submitted an H1 to the Centre d'Impots when we completed work on the house last year so they should be aware of our existence.

[8-)]

[quote user="Cassis"]We've just celebrated the end of our second year here in France (August 1st).  Do you think we should have a demand for Taxe d'Habitation by now? 

We paid our first Taxe Foncière earlier this year - about June, I think - when we got a threatening letter from the Trésor; when I asked them if the TdH was also overdue (we had never received a request for either until we got the menacing letter about the TF) they said there was no record of any amount outstanding on their computer.

We submitted an H1 to the Centre d'Impots when we completed work on the house last year so they should be aware of our existence.

[8-)]
[/quote]

The bills for Taxe Foncières and Taxe d'Habitation, at least in our area, are normally due in October (T F) and November (T d'H).  I would expect to see the bills sometime in October.  If you don't, that would be a good time to check with the appropriate Trésor.

Thanks, Tenniswitch.  That is what I was expecting last year but we got nothing - then the final demand for the 2005 TdH arrived in the post around June this year.  Odd.

I don't think our Centre d'Impots is particularly efficient.  I still haven't had a response to either our 2004 or 2005 tax declarations which I submitted in April and May this year, either.   Ah well.  Better than being harassed by them.  That'll probably follow later.

We arrived in Oct 2000, received tax fonciere in 2001 but despite various phone calls and visits did not receive tax d'habitation until 2004. We were worried about paying arrears but there has been no mention of previous years.  [:)]  

Taxe d'Hab is now listed on the income tax due bill, they used to come in September payable November but that was when tax return was due end of March. Don't know what will happen this year -bill will be nice Christmas present [:'(]  TH has only been added to tax for a couple of years so perhaps they haven't worked out yet what to do with people who don't submit tax returns [blink]

[quote user="Cassis"]We've just celebrated the end of our second year here in France (August

1st).  Do you think we should have had a demand for Taxe d'Habitation by

now? 

We

paid our first Taxe Foncière earlier this year - about June, I think -

when we got a threatening letter from the Trésor; when I asked them if

the TdH was also overdue (we had never received a request for either

until we got the menacing letter about the TF) they said there was no

record of any amount outstanding on their computer.

We submitted

an H1 to the Centre d'Impots when we completed work on the house last

year so they should be aware of our existence.

[8-)]

[/quote]

Hmmm....as you, I think, run a B&B in what is also your own home,

you may find that you do not pay taxe d'habitation at all. Instead, you

may receive a bill for taxe professionnelle as the property is used for

your business. Other B&B owners probably know better than I. The

good news is that taxe professionnelle is cheaper than taxe d'habition

for the same property...

[quote user="Benjamin"]Chas

Did you arrive as a permanent resident or was it then a second home?

I'd begun to get the idea from other threads that it was the submission of a tax return that triggered these taxes.

Benjamin
[/quote]

We've been paying T d'H and TF since the first year we owned our maison secondaire.  Somehow, the Tresor never has difficulty finding us despite our non-resident status.

[quote user="Jon D"]you may find that you do not pay taxe d'habitation at all. Instead, you

may receive a bill for taxe professionnelle as the property is used for

your business. Other B&B owners probably know better than I. The

good news is that taxe professionnelle is cheaper than taxe d'habition

for the same property...

[/quote]

As the B&B is not our main income we arent't registered at the CdC or CdM.  We'll see! [8-)]

[quote user="Benjamin"]Chas

Did you arrive as a permanent resident or was it then a second home?

I'd begun to get the idea from other threads that it was the submission of a tax return that triggered these taxes.

Benjamin
[/quote]

Permanent resident. For a variety of (not very good) reasons we were slow off the mark with our income tax forms but that did not appear to be connected to tax d'habitation.

[quote user="Cassis"]We've just celebrated the end of our second year here in France (August 1st).  Do you think we should have had a demand for Taxe d'Habitation by now? 

[/quote]

Cassis - we completed purchase in August 2002 - vendor payed both Taxe Fonciere and Taxe d' Habitation up to year end. Received first demand for Taxe Fonciere in November 2003. First demand for Taxe d'Habitation was not received until November 2004. (i.e more than two years after we moved in).

Have never queried the missing year (2003) but do sometimes think the Tresor public are going to catch up with us one day. 

rgds

Hagar

Archived