Complete France Forum

Those French Banks!*!*!*!*!

Georgina

Today my bank just took E32 out of my account with no notice. I find that really annoying (that I have to pay for keeping my money in their bank in the first place) and that they just take it without so much as a letter informing you that your annual renewal of your bank card is due. Does anyone here receive notice of this? Surely they have to give notice in case you decide that you don't want to renew it, like insurance now.

Georgina

Hi All

We had a shock recently when wishing to pay a very fat cheque into our nearest branch of Credit Ag, we had moved and so our own branch was in a the Vienne, we were now standing in the Charente, their response you will have to sign the back and post it to your own branch, our systems are not connected.  the cheque was for the proceeds of the sale of our house so we were stunned that  they wouldn't grab at the chance to bank it and not only that but they expected us to simply stick it in the post.  We are lucky enough to also have an account with CIO who laughed when we asked the same question and said of course.  This was not some back water branch this was a very large town branch.

I am shocked that CA can not do this very basic function and glad we are moving all of our business to CIO now.

Panda

Credit Agricole is not one bank;it is a federation of small banks-some just one branch.I have been with Credit Lyonnaise for 20 yrs. now and have never had any problems(at any of their branches).

Credit Agricole have always informed us that our new cards have arrived and to bring the letter as proof when collecting, same with the CMB cards too. Banks will always automatically take the fee due without informing you unless you cancel the card completely.

[quote user="Georgina"]

Today my bank just took E32 out of my account with no notice. I find that really annoying (that I have to pay for keeping my money in their bank in the first place) and that they just take it without so much as a letter informing you that your annual renewal of your bank card is due. Does anyone here receive notice of this? Surely they have to give notice in case you decide that you don't want to renew it, like insurance now.

Georgina

[/quote]

OK, [:D] over and let's try to offer a practical solution to these once a year, or in EDF's case once every two month events which come along and bite the unwary.

After our first year in France we made a list of all fixed outgoings (electricity,water ,taxes, bank charges etc) all listed in the month and date order that they occur.

The amounts that we estimated were based upon our first year's actual outgoings with a bit added on for inflation.

Every month now we know to within a few €uros how much is going out and when in the month it'd going to happen. OK it's a bit of a faff to set up but it sure makes life simpler once you've done it once.

If you're a competent user then it's an ideal spreadsheet application but if not a piece of paper and a pencil will suffice [:D]

Unles, of course, you've got that much dosh that you couldn't care a toss anyway. [;-)]

[quote user="Jc"]Credit Agricole is not one bank;it is a federation of small banks-some just one branch.I have been with Credit Lyonnaise for 20 yrs. now and have never had any problems(at any of their branches).[/quote]

Isn't CL one of the "small banks" that is owned by CA?

[quote user="Georgina"]

Today my bank just took E32 out of my account with no notice.

[/quote]

Georgina, it is an annual fee for having your card and you consented when you signed the form (normally when you opened the account) At least you know to expect it next again next year. If they had sent you a letter to remind you, they probably would have charged you for that too.

Danny

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

[quote user="Benjamin"]

Unless, of course, you've got that much dosh that you couldn't care a toss anyway. [;-)]

[/quote]

Oi! Don't drag me into this.....[:@]

[/quote]

Why not? [6]

This from a man whose middle name seems to be "unbridled consumer spending"

Three euros thirty on a posy badge for goodness sake [:-))]

Yeah, you are right, never thought of that, they would have charged for the letter.[:@]

By the way, I obviously know it is an annual fee, but really not expected to remember what I signed one year ago, I mean yesterday is difficult![:)]

Georgina

I remember when we opened a business account. The meeting with the manager seemed to be an interrogation. I told the manager that in my opinion all banks were thieves and unless he could give me three very good reasons why he wanted my business I'd go elsewhere, his attitude changed quickly but Herself wasn't too enamoured by the approach.

Archived