Complete France Forum

Sorry, tax return question

Pommier

I've got forms 2042 and 2047. I'm under state retirement age but have a company pension which isn't taxed in the UK.

I just phoned the tax office and it looks as if I filled in last years return wrong as I've now been told to put the amount of pension on page 1 of 2047 and also in box BS of 2042. Last year I did that but I also put the same figure in section VI (page 4) of 2047 and  in box TK on page 4 of 2042.

Please could someone confirm which is right?

Whichever it is, would the same apply to my mother who receives state retirement pension from the UK?

Many many thanks

Cheryl

I found myself in a similar quandary.  I have two occupational pensions, both from UK government so they have to be taxed at source in the UK.  I put these in Box TI.  My State Retirement Pension is taxed in France so I put that in Box AS.  I copied this from last year's form which was filled in for me by a very helpful inspector des impots in Gourdon.  AS a retired tax inspector, I must say that I don't think the UK forms are any easier to understand than those in France - I used to spend a lot of my time helping people to fill in their returns.

In the Uk, the IR will not bother to collect 'small' amounts of tax, and I noticed in France last year that my tax due of 117 euros was reduced to nil, using the word 'decote' which I can't find in my dictionary, but presumably means 'discount' or something similar.  Anyway, as my pension of £4000 would attract tax at 22% in the UK (my personal allowance all being used up on my occupational pensions) that is one more benefit of being a pensioner in France.

Hi Monaco.

I can at last put my Hachette English<>French Dictionary to good use.décote :1  (fiscal) tax rebate 2 : (financial) reduction / discount & 3 : (loss)  sale of shares.

Hope this has helped in some small way.

Mr W.

The décote is not just a generous gesture by the tax office, but a calculated reduction in small amounts of tax to make them even smaller, all the way to zero.  The formula includes the number of parts in the tax calculation.

Archived