Complete France Forum

Building Insurance

mafoo

Hi All :)

We are completing on our property soon (25th May). We were advised that we will need to provide proof of building insurance to the notaire (I'm assuming this is actually for the bank). The notaire also advised that we should get the building insuranced through the same company as our neighbour/seller (it's half a barn we are buying) in case the building burns down or anything bad happens (it will make claiming easier if it's with one company apparently).

We have spoken to our neighbour and he said that as he currently insures the whole building (and we are buying the other half off him), he will bring his insurance paper work to the notaires when we sign the acte. Then we can sort out our portion and get a policy in our name soon after.

Now, I am not feeling overly easy about this, not because of our neighbour (as we have known him for years and is a friend) but will the notaire accept his insurance policy for the whole building? Our new neighbour is away on holiday till the 24th, so I am unsure who he insures the building with and therefore cannot get a policy in place with his company.

I really don't want any hassles on the Friday as we are flying out to Oz a couple of days later. I am now wondering if I should just contact my bank in France and get them to issue a policy and then cancel the policy if it happens to be with a different company?

I really don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Matt

Righto... That's what I thought you may say. We are flying out a couple of days before we sign. If we go and see the notaire on the Wednesday and find out it's not ok, would it be possible for CA to issue a policy/cover note before the Friday afternoon or do these things take time?

[quote user="mafoo"]...would it be possible for CA to issue a policy/cover note before the Friday afternoon or do these things take time?[/quote]

We needed to have proof of insurance before we could sign the rental agreement for our house so we went into our bank to ask and a cover note was done straight away - details followed later, including the bill.

Sue

Archived