Complete France Forum

Do we need to register with the local tax office

sueyh

We have moved to France, my husband (at 52) is on a British Police Pension paid into our bank account in England, tax is taken at source.  I gave up work last year at the age of 48 and have no working income.  We own a property in England which we rent to a friend.  I have just received a tax rebate from UK Inland Revenue for last years tax over payment.  What do we do now??

Suey

Around March of the year following your arrival in France, go to your local Hotel des Impots (tax office) and tell them you are now resident here and ask for the relevant tax forms ( can't remember the numbers off hand).  Fill them in, and then the fun starts!  Even though your husband's income is taxable in the UK (I think a Police pension is dealt with in this way, but somebody will know for sure), you are still obliged to declare it here, even if it isn't taxed here.  I believe that the rental income, however, is taxable here, but don't quote me.  A better head than mine (probably Sunday Driver's!) will know.  But the critical thing is the timing. You're a tax resident in France so you must fill in a tax declartion here, detailing all income from the date you moved.

You must also inform the tax authorities in the UK that you have moved but I can't help you there as I don't know the procedure for those with government pensions which are still taxed there.  But somebody will.

Archived