Complete France Forum

RSI health charges

Thebiga

Can anyone help. We run Gites and we have joined RSI for our health charges and its all over the place.

1.We are registered as a micro-bic.

2.What percentage of our income do RSI take gross/net.

3.Do we have a threshold figure for a couple where they take above that figure.

4.Help please as its driving me slightly mad... 

Hi, not sure about percentages,etc but we registered (before I became eligible for Uk state pension) as microbic with RSI (used to be MatiCamons), which incurred cotisations with URSSAF and Organic, etc.,  also in order for us to obtain our Carte Vitale, as we also have a gite business (this will be our 7th season in France). What I can tell you (and excuse me if you already know this), is that you can, and should, if you are only a seasonal business, sign off (called cessation d'activitie). In effect you are a saissonier (seasonal worker) and so can/must sign on at the Chambre of Commerce, at the commencement of your season (within 15 days of starting your season) and sign off again at the end of your season (again within 15 days of ending). That way you only pay cotisations (equivalent of national insurance/social contributions) for the number of days you run your business. This is only possible if you are a micro bic seasonal business and do not have any paid employees. If you are in this category, then I suggest that you get yourself along to your Chambre de Commerce as quickly as possible (and as usual, take your passport, marriage, birth certs, recent EDF bill, and anything else you can think of!) and sign off your business to save yourself paying any more cotisations than you need to. I think not a lot of people realise they can do this. Hope this makes sense.

Perhaps others on here will correct or disagree with my advice but, we have done this for a number of years and saved ourselves a lot of money in cotisations. Brits, on the whole, do not realise that cotisations here are extremely high. Income tax is not too bad but it's these national insurance type cotisations that are the bug bear, so to speak. As I've already said, we do not need to register our gite business, in order to obtain our Carte Vitale, anymore as I am now in receipt of a UK state pension. We now just declare our income on our French Tax return and our Carte Vitale is courtesy of the UK. Child benefit has also now been reinstated for our 16 yr old, paid by the UK. Only irritation now is that I'm not eligible for heating allowance as I was already resident in France in the September before my 59th birthday, although my neighbour will get that for life as he was resident in the Uk in the September before his 59th birthday, then moved to France that October....grrrr!!! (Sorry, just wanted to get that point over....feel better now, ha ha!!)

Hope this helps.

Anna

Thanks Anna

The only problem is we cannot register with the chambre de commerce as we do not provide any services with are gites and they will not let us join! So who could we possibly sign on and off with or can theis only be done if you are registered with them.

Hi, well we are in the Dordogne area and it was the Mati Camons (now RSI) who told us that we should register and sign off at the Chamber of Commerce, to save us paying high cotisations. We went along there, told them we wanted to sign on and they did say we didn't have to as we only had 3 gites but we explained that we needed to register, as we were registered with Mato Camons in order to qualify and pay our cotisations for Carte Vitale. They just did the business for us and never mentioned anything about us providing any services.There is a camp site near us who are also registered in the same way as we were, i.e. saissoniers, and I don't believe they provide anything different from us. What did they reckon services implied? Which area are you in?

Hi Anna

Thanks for your input. By services we were told we had to supply something like meals,bike hire,painting holidays.

We have five gites but as I said we could not join the chambre de commerce because all we did was do holiday lets.

I will give your idea some thought, and thanks again. 

Hi, you don't say where you are situated so not sure, but can't imagine there should be any difference. In fact, we were told that if we had 5 or more gites, it would have been obligitoire that we must register with the chambre of commerce...oh well, there you go! Don't understand why you should have to provide a service to register. Surely, if you are a business then that should suffice. Anyway, I can only reiterate our experience in the Dordogne and we certainly had no problem registering as a business with the Chambre of Commerce in Perigueux. As I said, for the last few years, we have signed on at the commencement of our season and then signed off (radiation) at the end and thus saved ourselves many Euros in cotisations. Our nearby campsite has (on my advice) just done the same, this year, and they do not provide any of the services you mention.

Best wishes

Anna

Hello Anna

Could you enlarge on this:

As I've already said, we do not need to register our gite business, in order to obtain our Carte Vitale, anymore as I am now in receipt of a UK state pension. We now just declare our income on our French Tax return and our Carte Vitale is courtesy of the UK.

Thanks Wilko

The problem is that Gites were originally intended, and are often still regarded as a way for farmers to earn a bit of extra money to supplement their basic earnings.

Unless you earn more than 23000 Euros ,or more than half your total income from the activity its not regarded as a profession so registration can be refused.

So anyone hoping to get into the system that way , don't count on it.

However if you regularly provide services such as breakfasts, laundry, cleaning, bike hireetc  then registration becomes compulsory.

See:

http://www.inforeg.ccip.fr/L'ouverture-et-l'exploitation-d'un-gite-rural-fiche-67-6002.html

http://www.inforeg.ccip.fr/documents/?doc_n_id=6075&arb_n_id=47

Hi Wilko

Yes, certainly.

When a person becomes eligible for their UK state pension, they also become eligible for a E121 form. This allows them to register for medical treatment and their Carte Vitale. The spouse of that person also becomes eligible for a E121 form as do any dependant children.

Previous to this, we registered our gites as a business (signing on and off each season) in order to allow us to pay the cotisations (National Insurance type payments) this incurred so we could qualify for our Carte Vitale through the French Health System. It is not obligitary to register gites as a business with the Chamber of Commerce in France. Therefore, as I received the E121 form and now have my Carte Vitale (courtesy of the UK), we did not have to sign on as a business this season. We do, of course, still have to make our Tax Return in France as usual.

Also, if a parent is in receipt of a UK state pension, the UK takes over the responsibility of making any Child Benefit payments, if this applies. In our case, we became eligible for Child Benefit to be reinstated for our 16 yr old as she is in full time education here. As she is our only child still in education, we did not receive payments through the French system as they do not pay for 1 child (unless very young).

Hope this makes sense

Anna

Archived