Complete France Forum

Tax Relief

Keni

I might be repeating what has gone before, and I have looked through the site, but having just re-read the piece on Healthcare Regulations, as the French will now not allow payment into the CMU, from low earners etc., and yet still expect everyone to find the costs for the new healthcare - quote by LF article around £1600/1800 p.a. - will we now get tax relief on private healthcare payments?

For a couple this could therefore be around £2-3K p.a,. a lot to suddenly find. If they have been paying in up to date, and have now to find healthcare (is it still illegal?), will the new ruling therefore take costs into account?

As I say, I expect this has been covered but could not find where.

No there is no tax relief on private healthcare payments.

If you are aleady in CMU, you may stay in.  There has been some delay in implementing this, but it should not be a problem.

Full private health cover is no longer illegal for non-French Europeans (although the CPAM at the Sarthe has told at least one person that they cannot be allowed to seek PHI until they have had their CMU ejection letter !)

If your E106 recently expired, you may lodge an appeal to be allowed to remain in CMU.  For more details, see:

http://www.frenchhealthissues.eu/E106/e106_menu.htm

Your liklihood of success is dependent upon your individual circumstances, particularly if you have a chronic or pre-existing condition.  But do take care that you have adequate health cover, in case the worst happens.  We have been reading of a case of a man whose gp here wanted to admit him for an urgent gall bladder operation.  He cannot have it as he cannot pay, so is going to the UK tomorrow instead (where he may also be charged, as he has no home there any longer.)

Thank you for the information, I have yet to move over and was amazed by all the info regarding this new situation, yet realised as yet that no-one had seemed to ask whether in future, or whether as yet, any proviso had been put in place to allow tax relief

Yup, I realised after I had posted that I had read on another thread that you have yet to move.  Doh!  The best advice I can give then, is to factor the insurance costs in before you move.  We cannot see any change in the situation for new residents in the near future, although there are moves afoot at EU level to sort the legislation out a bit and things could change again.  But I would not bank on it.  And most certainly, tax relief is not going to happen, as the legislation does not apply to French nationals, only non-French Europeans.

Archived