Complete France Forum

Does Anyone Use The Banque Populaire Centre Atlantique?

Rich1972

Hi all

I'm planning on opening an account with the Ruffec branch of the Banque Populaire Centre Atlantique in about three weeks' time. Has anyone got experience with this group? Are they accessible and helpful? It seems like a good idea to go for one that is located primarily around the Charente/Vienne area and the Banque Populaire seems to fit the bill.

Rich [:)]

Anything to do with retailing in France, be it shopping or banking is fraught with difficulty when asking others' opinions as the level of service seems to differ from outlet to outlet even within the same Group.

You may be lucky and find someone who's actually got an account at this particular branch but that doesn't mean to say that the staff will remain there forever.

As Brits we are used to going into any outlet of a chain and getting roughgly the same level of service. Whether it's a lack of a corporate plan for staff training or some other reason I don't know but service levels vary enormously here.

[quote user="Rich1972"]

the Banque Populaire seems to fit the bill.  [/quote]

Not a member of that particular branch but of Banque Pop Atlantique in southern Brittany. We have found our branch to be tirelessly helpful when we needed them to explain the ins and outs of the French Banking system to us. They are not the cheapest at 7 euros 60 a month, including cards, but are fantastically efficient when receiving money transfers from the UK ie I ring my UK Bank in the morning and say how much I need to transfer and the money usually arrives in our BPop account the same afternoon. The staff are very friendly; and have seemed more like an advice centre on occasion when I have needed guidance.

Sue

Thanks. I appreciate that regional, and inter-branch, differences are probably very great, and what's been good for one person might not be good for another. It's interesting to get some opinions on the organisation though

Rich  [:)]

[quote user="Rich1972"]

It's interesting to get some opinions on the organisation though

[/quote]

They are a newish bank, I think, which I feel is reflected in their attitude to client satisfaction. Unlike some we enquired of, who really didn't seem to want any new customers.

Sue

For reasons I won't bore you with, we have ended up with a Banque Populaire Occitane account when we live (some of the time) in Normandy.

What it means in practice is

a) we have no local bank and, so far as I can tell, going into a Banque Populaire Ouest is not much different to going into any other bank where we don't have an account such as Credit Agricole... 

b)...but it doesn't actually make much difference because we we do pretty much all of our banking on line, coupled with  a liberal use of RIBs and TIPs (which we find is a good system,).

The only difference I think it may make in having a non-local bank is that there may be tighter limits on how much we can withdraw each week from the hole in the wall but that has never bothered us because we do most of our banking automatically.

That said, when we have been into BP Ouest branches they have been unfailingly helpful - in some cases going well beyond the call of duty.

Helen

Archived