Complete France Forum

Car Insurance Renewal Notification

Benjamin

I am not looking to change from my existing car insurer but wondered if any others had come across the following or a similar scenario.

I've been with my present insurer for one year and my renewal date was 29 July.

Back towards the end of June I received a communication from the insurers which contained a standard International Green Card valid from 01/07/08 to 31/01/09 together witha notification of prélèvement for the period 01/07/08 to 31/07/08. This adjusted the monthly payment for what I considered to be the final payment for my first year's insurance.

Having received nothing further I popped into the broker's office this morning to ask where my renewal notification was. They said that the notice issued in June was their equivalent of the renewal invitation and that the monthly amount shown for July would then run monthly until January when the insurance company made it's annual rate change.

I pointed out that I wasn't looking to change but what would the procedure be in coming years. I was told that I needed to cancel before the 1st of July (anniversary date 29/07) in any given year for them to accept a cancellation. I then asked if this procedure complied with the Loi Chatel and they assured me it did.

I can't help thinking that what I've read on previous threads is slightly different to this.

I've actually had a French vehicle insured for seven years with AGF and for 2 years with Pacifica and I've always been used to receiving a renewal invitation and schedule of payments for the next 12 months. This, incidentially, is a very large European insurance group.

Any comments anyone?

Insurers have to provide a renewal notice containing details of any new annual premium at least 15 days before the cancellation deadline set out in your policy terms and conditions - usually two months notice for insurance contracts.  If they are making the annual change to the premium in January, then I suspect this is the actual renewal date of your contract. 

If the June communication did not contain reference to your cancellation rights under the Loi Chatel, then it was probably not a legal renewal notice.  The fact that they've issued an interim certificate tends to support this.

I think your broker doesn't know what he's talking about....

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

I think your broker doesn't know what he's talking about....

[/quote]

My thoughts also but in their defence half of them are on holiday and I did not see the lady who I normally talk to. I will return later this month when Michelle is back and discuss it further. My suspicions were initially on alert when I received the International Green Card running through to 31/01/09. I think it's a tactic to get the unwary to feel that the contract is renewed automatically.

The renewal date is without doubt 29/07.

Thanks for your response.

Archived