Complete France Forum

Mistake on tax return

Lou

Hi

I need to contact the tax office to help a friend who has just received his avis d'impots and realised that it's not correct. He doesn't speak/understand much French, submitted his tax return online for the first time this year and I think, from looking at his stuff, that he's not transferred amounts entered on 2047 onto 2042, therefore all the figures are all wrong.

This is a genuine mistake and he's anxious to put it right and show the authorities he's not trying a scam.

I'm assuming that he can't possibly be the first to have made this sort of mistake, so I assume the tax office will look on him kindly and that amendments can be made at this stage?

Does anyone know what the tax office are likely to say/do?

Thanks

Lou

People do make errors on tax forms and provided they are quickly identified and corrected, there's usually no problem.

My first paper tax return was incorrectly processed by my tax office due to them misinterpreting a tax ruling resulting in an overcharge.  I e-mailed them a copy of the ruling and after a bit of 'sorry, but we are right' followed by a bit of  'er...no, you aren't', they admitted their error and sent me a refund cheque.

Hi Lou

I made a similar mistake and visited my local tax office this week and explained the problem.  I took along copies of both completed forms (2042/2047).  They were extremely helpful and said not to worry and they would make the necessary adjustment and I should receive another avis d'impot sometime during October or November this year. 

This will also affect the tax d'habitation.  Again, they said I would receive an amendment, probably after the initial one has been sent.

Hope this helps.

Archived