Complete France Forum

UK pounds to euros

Athene

What is the best way to take euros to France?

Swift transfers are expensive!

Getting euros out of your Nationwide account at the French hole in the wall commands a bad exchange rate!

So is the best way to check which travel agents will do the best interest rate and carry the euros out with you?

[quote user="Athene"]Getting euros out of your Nationwide account at the French hole in the wall commands a bad exchange rate![/quote]

Given that you would be dealing with amounts in the low hundreds of euros, I'd be very surprised if this turned out to be the case. The Nationwide debit card is normally considered to be one of the best ways of obtaining euros. My understanding was that if you use a Nationwide debit card then the rate that you receive is the current commercial rate, not the tourist rate (which tends to be poorer). The fact that the current exchange rate is poor is nothing to do with the Nationwide. Could you please give examples of dates and rates that you have obtained?

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Athene"]Getting euros out of your Nationwide account at the French hole in the wall commands a bad exchange rate!
[/quote]

I find that our Nationwide debit cards result in an excellent exchange rate without any additional charges. If anyone is still resident in the UK this has to be the card to have.

Be interested in what you are basing your statement on Athene

Paul

[quote user="Athene"]Getting euros out of your Nationwide account at the French hole in the wall commands a bad exchange rate![/quote]Complete nonsense [:'(]

There is no more efficient way to obtain medium amounts of € and without exception everyone here who uses a NW card will tell you the same. Apart from our purchase funds we use nothing else for transfers and every withdrawal we have ever made has more or less exactly mirrored the rate for the day as seen on HiFx and other similar sites.

As others have asked - dates and rates please.

And which HITW, possible a rogue bank is ripping you off [blink]

Archived