Complete France Forum

Mother giving me house in France

Hi,

I'm just starting out trying to find some information and hope you can help. My mother has very kindly said I could have her house which near Carcassone, the house is owned outright and we both live in the UK. What I am trying to find out is how I get legal ownership, I know there are strict inheritance and gift laws and I think what could complicate matters is that I have a sister who wants no involvement. Does anyone have any info, recommend any Anglo French solicitors or any other pointers would be great. I have already spoken to one solicitior and he said he would get back to me, I will also trawl the internet but any info would be great.

Thanks

We have a friend trying to do the same thing. From what he was told by the Notaire the other family member,or members, have to sign a paper in person in front of the Notaire. Basically signing their rights away. My friends children are in UK, Italy and Australia and one other. Fraught with problems. Best deal with a French Notaire who will tell you his version.Sometimes their opinions are not always the same!!

Regards. 

If your mother has owned the property for a long time the value will have increased. This may cause a Capital Gains Tax libility in either France or the UK. I assume that you will pick up this bill, or is your mother happy to pay this as well.

By far the easiest way to deal with this will be to contact the notaire who dealt with the original purchase even if it was moons ago. Notaires are amazing people who have incredible memories and detailed filing systems, and he / she will probably have all the exact details and paperwork for the original transaction.

Archived