Complete France Forum

Where to buy Sterling.

ams

Will be making  a trip to Wales to see my ill brother. I will need sterling, is it best to buy before I go at my french bank or to exchange euro when i arrive. Alternatively if i use my debit card would this be the best option.

ams

To be honest when I return to the UK I use a debit card to get a small amount of cash and put everything else on the credit card.  Cards are much more widely accepted in the UK than elasewhere and no one seems to bat an eyelid if you offer a card for quite measley sums. 

No doubt there will be some wig who will insist that if I had forward booked currency through a dealer and done some complicated transaction I could have saved 30c - but life is just too short.

Is your debit card from a French Bank AMS?

If so you will need to check with them their charges for cash payments and cash withdrawals, I am sure there is a fixed charge for ATM withdrawals but perhaps not for purchases and that they will both be a the same unfavorable rate.

If this is the case then it is usually best to withdraw the minimum for small and unexpected expenses and pay for everything else on the card, cashback at supermarket is another way of avoiding the fixed charge.

Ams - you're a highly qualified accountant.  This must surely be a no-brainer for you.

When we go over to visit the family, I just withdraw £50 or so from the first ATM I see and use the Mastercard for most everything else.  I get hit with some small charges but, like Andy says - who cares?

No sense in carrying around a wallet full of sterling - besides, I might not end up spending the whole £50.......[;-)]

Archived